Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dead Herring Gulls

Is anyone else finding dead Herring Gulls? A fourth dead gull has just been found at Chard Reservoir and I've heard of others not far from Chard. Is this a very local problem or are other people finding an unusual number of dead gulls or indeed any other species?

Re: Dead Herring Gulls

Hi Kevin,

Please click on the website link below to view a paper from the USA that might shed some light on your observations.

There's probably a lot more information available on the 'net if you search for it.

Best regards,

Nick

Sadly, there is no shortage of dead Gulls at the moment due to Botulism and possible starvation due to the lack of food caused by rock hard fields.
Good to see Nick branching out into Gull research!!

Nice one John!

I'm only interested because every Gull lost to Botulism (if that's what it is), is one less to be caught and eaten by a raptor!

Best regards,

Nick

How does Botulism affect our carrion Raptors? is there a danger to Buzzards and the others who take carrion? do not want to see the population affected given the massive increase we are seeing in them!

Kevin. Yes I've been seeing dead herring and lesser black-backs at Torr for the past 3 weeks. Roughly 25 birds have died during that time....a much higher figure than I would normally expect to see at this site. Botulism is a possible cause but there are no doubt other possibilities. Do you have any idea where the birds in your area go to feed?

http://www.ukmarinesac.org.uk/activities/water-quality/wq8_50.htm

I'm not sure whether there have been any reports of toxic algal bloom or even whether these birds will have been in a marine environment recently, but could the recent hot weather have caused such a bloom?

It's far more likely that they have been scavenging on a landfill site, and, given the recent weather, it's not really surprising that they have picked something that is "slightly off".

Best Wishes,
Bill.

At least 7 dead Herring Gulls at Chard Junction Gravel Pits over the last few weeks.
No landfill sites in the Chard area, most gulls seem to feed locally on scraps in peoples' gardens, etc!

I don't really know where the local gulls feed, they can often be seen in fields, but as has been pointed out, many fields are rock hard at the moment.
I found it surprising that only Herring Gulls seemed to be affected, but then they are the commonest gull species at the reservoir.

No algal blooms that I am aware of, but the weather has certainly been warm enough.

The paper that Nick has indicated certainly makes Botulism sound like a good possibility.

I know it is a long way from you, but there is apparantly an algal bloom at Wimbleball at the moment. How far will gulls fly to feed if their usual fields and feeding grounds are baked?.7CKE

Outside of Somerset I have seen dead Gulls at Radipole and Marshfield recently.

An adult herring gull was brought to be by a friend who had found it near death on Chew Valley lake - it was paralyzed which is a classic sign of botulism. This individual was too far gone and was euthanised by a vet but it's clear botulism is prevalent in this hot weather.

Botulism is one of a number of conditions and infections that might cause the problems that have been described. However, it is but one and while the circumstances that have been described including the clinical signs mean that botulism ought to be considered in a differential diagnosis, we ought not to jump to conclusions. It is a difficult disease to diagnose because the amount of botulinum toxin that can cause death can be tiny and it is therefore difficult to detect.

Defra is interested in mass die-offs of wild birds and while each instance might described does not not fit the definition of a mass die-off, readers should be aware of the advice here contained here:

'If you find 5 or more dead birds, you should call the Defra Helpline on 08459 33 55 77. The Helpline will assess whether the birds are a high risk species requiring collection.

Wild birds can carry several diseases that are infectious to people and some simple hygiene precautions should minimise the risk of infection.'

In the hot summer of 1990 I was wardening Rockcliffe Marsh in Cumbria, which hosted about 1800 pairs of Herring and Lesser Black-backed Gulls, and noted many dead and dying gulls in and around the colony. Whole broods of quite large chicks were found dead around their nests. Several adults were alive and alert but paralysed and unable to stand up or flap - botulism appeared to be the cause, though no analysis was done. The adults regularly foraged on Carlisle tip about 6 miles south, and brought all sorts back to the colony as food (occasionally bombarding me with it as I went about my monitoring duties).

The hot weather's been great, but every silver lining has a cloud...

Just heard via Andy Grinter that someone's dog may have died yesterday in Chard after eating poison bait that had been put out for herring gulls. Doesn't account for majority of the recorded deaths but could be contributing in the Chard/Axe Valley area?

I've just had it confirmed this morning that several dogs have been poisioned in connection with gull deaths.
In the Lordleaze area of Chard yesterday 5 dogs and a cat were poisoned by bait laid for the gulls. 2 dogs died, the others are all recovering at the vets. A prank that very much backfired and has obviously angered many locals. I very much hope that this is an isolated incident.

Andy Grinter
I've just had it confirmed this morning that several dogs have been poisioned in connection with gull deaths.
In the Lordleaze area of Chard yesterday 5 dogs and a cat were poisoned by bait laid for the gulls. 2 dogs died, the others are all recovering at the vets. A prank that very much backfired and has obviously angered many locals. I very much hope that this is an isolated incident.

Hello,

I work for the RSPB Investigations team and was alerted to this thread by someone in the local area. I am interested in the mention of poisoning here - would anyone who suspects this is happening be able to contact me please? Does anyone know the name and/or contact details of the vets where the dogs and cat were examined? It is important to establish whether this is a wildlife poisoning case - which is indiscriminate and can harm native wildlife, pets and humans if contact is made. There is a scheme available (WIIS) which has been set up to investigate the death or illness of wildlife and pets that may have resulted from pesticide poisoning, and it may perhaps be a good idea to get the dogs sent in to this scheme for testing (for info http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/guidance/industries/pesticides/topics/reducing-environmental-impact/wildlife).

Many thanks,

Alice Tribe
Investigations Co-ordinator
Tel: 01767 69(3328)
Email: alice.tribe@rspb.org.uk
RSPB, UK Headquarters, The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire, SG19 2DL.
www.rspb.org.uk