Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ham Wall waders

20-July-2013 (mid-afternoon)
A reasonbable selection of waders from the 2nd viewing-platform: Black-t Godwit 6, Redshank 1, Greenshank 1, Ruff 1, Green Sandpiper 2, L.R. Plover 2. Also 15 Little Egrets, a Kingfisher and 2 male Marsh Harriers (an adult and what looked like a 1st-summer).

Re: Ham Wall waders

Still plenty to look for this morning although the variety of small islands makes it a challenge. One LRP, 2 Green Sand, 2 Common Sand, one Redshank, 30+ Blackwit, 5+ Snipe and a pair of Common Tern that seemed to be defending one of the islands.

From the 2nd Lookout point on Ham Wall this morning 1 Ruff; Four Greensands; half a dozen Snipe; 20+ Blk Tld. G'Wits and two Common Terns one of which chased a Hobby for probably 1/2 mile before breaking off and returning to base

No sign of the Ruff or LRP yesterday evening(25th) at the 2VP.

5 Snipe, 4 Green Sandpipers, a dozen Black-Tailed Godwit and 2 Common Terns all still present along with a the usual suspects, plus a single Wigeon.

Other highlights included 8 or so 'Red Arrows' passing over SW, and chatting to Jeff Hazell. Nice to meet you Jeff!

1 Ruff, 1 Green Sandpiper & 1 Common Sandpiper this morning at 2nd VP also a party of about 5 or 6 Bearded Tits Meare Heath end, opposite first bench.

30-July-2013
My evening visit to the 2nd viewing platform at Ham Wall saw: 5 Black-t Godwits, 5 Green Sandpipers, 2 Dunlin, a Ruff and a pair of Common Terns.

Wed 31st.(1200-1530)This afternoon from the 2nd V.point, 2 Greenshank; 2 Green S'Pipers; 15 Dunlin; 1 Redshank; 8 Snipe and 60+ Blk Tld G'Wits

Strangely quiet for waders at 2VP this morning but maybe because of a juv Peregrine hanging around - just 3 each of Redshank and Green Sand in flight plus 2 Garganey. 1 Ruff on the drained lagoon. No Blackwits anywhere...

2nd VP Ham Wall, No Godwits this afternoon either here or on Shapwick but 4 Green S'Pipers; 1 Greenshank; 1 Ruff; 3 Dunlin and half a dozen Snipe. Plus a couple of dowdy Garganey.

2 Green Sandpiper, Redshank, Blackwits, Garganey. Cuckoo and Marsh Harrier seen from 2vp this morning.

2 Green Sandpipers, 1 Greenshank, 2 Garganey and 1 Pintail this morning.

6 or more Green Sand from 2VP last night; saw the Pintail (and a few Wigeon) but not the Greenshank or Garganey; a Garganey and a Gweegret on MH drained lagoon. Any news on what might be happening with water levels there? It's a bit high at the mo...

Simon is back from leave in a week and I expect that he will pump it off after that. The reason for letting some water in was to stop the fast growth of weed on the mud islands which would make it very difficult to see waders.

That sounds sensible Martin - given the weed growth on the front island in particular waders seemed likely to either not stop at all or hide very effectively.

At 2VP on Ham Wall side this afternoon: 2 Green Sands were the best waders - a few Blackwits, Snipe and Lapwings otherwise. Also one fem/imm Garganey and a Wigeon, plus a Great White Egret dropped in. One birder there while I was there also thought they might have seen a Little Bittern come in to the reeds at the back, but I did not see that.

a.m.. Monday from 2nd VP Ham Wall; Ringed Plover 2 (1 adult +1 Juv.); Dunlin 1; Greensands 2; Snipe at least dozen but well spread out;
Blk Tld G'Wits 20; of which one Summer Plumaged bird is ringed but I was unable to get all four ring colours and one ring (Red) is down below the 'knee' joint which doesn't help!
Spoke to Simon Clarke in passing around lunchtime today re draining lagoon and he has it in mind!

Plans for the lagoon sound great. Thanks for passing on the info, Martin and Alan.

From 5pm on myself & John Rickards had:
3 Green sand
1 Wood Sand
1 Ruff which flew in with a Greenshank
Several Snipe
2 juv & 1 adult fem Marsh Harrier
ad male & ad fem Sparrowhawk
1 swift & sand martens
1 Dunlin
13+ Blkwits
1 Common tern
All from 2nd platform at ham wall
Also a GWE on Noahs.

A single Yellow Wagtail was a welcome addition to the small no of waders present prior to the rain this morning, 1 Greenshank; 1 Ruff; 1 Dunlin; 1 Green Sand and a dozen Snipe and Blk Tld. G'Wits..