Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nightjars, Long Eared Owl & Quail

Nightjars reasonably accessible in the Quantocks this year. 7 or 8 different birds both seen and heard at 2 separate sites tonight. Also a Long Eared Owl was calling & then seen in the Quantocks.

Quail calling this evening from a cereal field in the Burrowbridge area. My 3rd different Levels site for Quail in the past week - the other 2 were calling from sileage fields.

Re: Nightjars, Long Eared Owl & Quail

I too have heard Quail in the last week but was wary of posting it on the forum. Mine was calling in grass fields between East Huntspill and Burtle.

Martin

I too am always conscious of the problem of giving away too much information to unscrupulous people, which is why I use generic areas such as "Quantocks" and "Burrowbridge area". When I say Burrowbridge area, I ensure that I don't narrow it down to less than several hundred hectares of ground area. I much prefer this approach, than say narrowing things down to a specific site during the breeding season.

By posting, I hope to encourage others to go out and listen for their own birds by highlighting the fact that the species is now in the SOS recording area.

rgds
Ash

Heard at usual Quantock site last night