Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Corn Bunting

For the last two weeks on my drive to work near Dorchester i have seen and heard a Corn bunting, trilling from telephone wires by the side of the road. He is in an open area of country, mostly rolling agricultural land and could well be the same bird i have seen in the same spot, two years running. Prior to this sighting the only other place i have seen Corn buntings was on salisbury plain some years ago. As i have never seen an entry for this splendid bird on this site i wonder what numbers are like in our county. This bird reminds me of a time when farming practice was different and it is a joy to hear him each morning.

Re: Corn Bunting

Corn Buntings have been present at Maiden Castle for many years,although numbers vary according to the planting by farmers in the area.

When I moved to Somerset from Kent in 1987 we had Corn Buntings on our farm near Westonzoyland, unfortunately they were gone by the early 90s and as far as I know are totally absent from the Somerset Levels now!

I saw a corn bunting at Catcott Lows this time last year. A first for me in Somerset.