Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Red Kite

Sat having a coffee at home in Stogursey (11.45) peering through the lounge window and was surprised to see a Red Kite quartering over the fields near the school. The local Crows/Jackdaws were not impressed by their visitor and promptly mobbed him. My last sighting was as he flew off towards the Quantocks.
Nothing like spotting your favourite Raptor from the comfort of your armchair is there?

Re: Red Kite

Chipstable to Stogursey in 1.5 hours? Could easily be same bird. Where next?

Red Kite seen at Wall Common at 11.30 today....have they finally colonised Somerset??

Thanks Ian and Chris for your postings. Nothing added in last couple of days.

So our observations were:
Red Kite observed on 27May13
0944h Chipstable
1130h Wall Common
1145h Stogursey

No way to confirm, and pure fanciful speculation of course; but fascinating possibility that this blog has allowed us to follow a migrating/wandering Red Kite, heading north-east through Somerset, meeting the coast and staying put for a while (before heading across the Bristol Channel?).

There were 2 Red Kites over Bicknoller heading towards Williton on Bank Holiday Monday.

Chris Weedon
Thanks Ian and Chris for your postings. Nothing added in last couple of days.

So our observations were:
Red Kite observed on 27May13
0944h Chipstable
1130h Wall Common
1145h Stogursey

No way to confirm, and pure fanciful speculation of course; but fascinating possibility that this blog has allowed us to follow a migrating/wandering Red Kite, heading north-east through Somerset, meeting the coast and staying put for a while (before heading across the Bristol Channel?).

Hi Chris,

You could be correct but I'll wager that there were two and perhaps even three Red Kites involved here.

These birds have almost certainly flown across the Channel from France so it seems highly unlikely that they would view the coast at Steart as any sort of barrier whatsoever. Over recent years I've seen 20+ Red Kites pass over the Steart peninsula at this time of year and not one has turned back.

The massive Red Kite population expansion in the UK due to the various release schemes has, I believe, generated a correspondingly large increase in the number of Red Kites passing through Somerset each spring.

Pauline's subsequent sighting supports this and I spent just a few days in Somerset last week and also saw two, both moving NE.

Keep watching the skies!

Best regards,

Nick

Many thanks, Nick (& Pauline!), for these fascinating insights.

Here at Chipstable, we have observed Red Kite only seven times over the last fourteen years, usually April, May, June; once on Boxing Day (2004)! So, we get a bit excited when one deigns to pass our way.

The fact that so many are seen in spring down in the south-west does suggest that they might be coming from the continent, but in fact they are quite rare in the north-west section of France, and their main migration route is south-west/north-east well away from the Channel. That is also the section of France where they winter (see for instance my LPO news site www.kjhall.org.uk/lponews.htm for 22 Feb 2013).

I had a chat to Martin Cade at Portland Bird Observatory recently and although raptor migrants like Osprey, Montagu's Harrier and Honey Buzzard have been seen coming in off the sea reasonably often, he can't recall ever having seen a Red Kite do so. When they are seen at Portland, which happens more frequently than in the past, it is almost always at the northern end of the island, and they rarely get as far as the Bill.

I suspect it's more likely that, strange though it seems, they are wandering UK birds, but although lots of Red Kites are wing-tagged, I can't find much actually published about where they are seen subsequently, apart from odd individual birds. If anyone knows of any overall summary, I'd be interested in the reference. If observers could note the direction of movement for sightings of birds on the move, we might get a better idea if it is one-way traffic or not.

Single Red Kite over North Curry this morning

Sorry it's a late spotting but had a RK over the house again yesterday (6/6) at around 18.00.

Quick look-see south from Chipstable on reading of Brian's Honey Buzzard moving west of Taunton today (1745h): no HB.

But immediately picked up a Red Kite in the distance, observed hunting in north-west flight-path, for about 15mins. Missing central tail feather(s) and moulting primary 1 and/or 2.

Seem to be several Red Kites spread over Somerset in recent days.

To add to the recent total 1 Red Kite flew over Cannington College yesterday (Friday) at 10.30

Single Red Kite west to east over Ham Wall today at 15:10