Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cheddar Reservoir Two

I have today received a magazine from Bristol Water which gives outline plans for the proposed second reservoir at Cheddar. It also invites comment about the proposals via a survey at www.cheddar-reservoir-two.co.uk as part of a consultation exercise.

I feel very strongly that the new reservoir should be kept as a nature reserve and all the activities that now frequently disturb the birds should be kept to the existing reservoir. The existing reservoir is good, but it really does suffer badly from disturbance at the weekends and the summer evenings. This is a great opportunity to create a much better habitat for our birds and I would encourage everyone to do the survey (it only takes 5 minutes).

The biodiversity of the new reservoir could also be enhanced by the addition of some landscaping, an island or two and some muddy margins for the wading birds.

Re: Cheddar Reservoir Two

For ease of use, below is the actual link that you can click on
Cheddar Reservoir Two.

Thanks for the alert re this and the link. I have duly submitted my comments and I hope others will do so too.

Like wise!
The survey only takes 5 minutes & there's a comment box to add your ideas.

The second stage of the consultation process is now underway. I have received another leaflet which gives details of three public exhibitions:

Thursday 27 June, 3.00-7.30 p.m.Church House, Church Street, Cheddar, BS27 3RE
Friday 28 June, 1.00-7.30p.m. same location.
Saturday 29 June, 10a.m.-4.00p.m. Axbridge Town Hall, The Square, Axbridge, BS26 2AP

It does appear that Bristol Water have listened to the previous comments as the latest proposals have been modified to some degree. I would again encourage everyone to contribute and promote the wildlife interests.

They are proposing to submit a planning application by the end of the year.