Return to Website

Yorkie Views Message Board

A place to ask questions, or just talk about your yorkies

Yorkie Views Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Feeding Frenzy!!

My wife and I adopted a 3 year old un-neutered male Yorkie in early Sept. last year. We named him Chumley. He quickly adapted to the house with few problems. We decided to expand the pack and in Feb. of this year we bought an 8 week old Norfolk terrier female. Now the fun begins! We are all working out a number of issues but one that puzzles us is this: Feeding time went as usual for the first two weeks. Now, when I feed the dogs (dominant dog first-Chumley, in separate bowls, at separate stations,)Chumley runs from the room, hiding under a desk or chair,shaking - he used to just about knock you over to get to his food. I have to bring him into the kitchen and hand feed him one piece of food before he will eat. Then he eats normally. The puppy would just as soon eat Chumley's food as hers, so we have stationed her at her food bowl which has helped. She's not a big eater unless Chumley is standing right over her, in which case she chows down. When my wife feeds the dogs, none of this happens, everybody eats without a problem. I know my cooking sucks but this is ridiculous!!

Any suggestions?

Re: Feeding Frenzy!!

You stated that you adopted your yorkie, was it from a shelter, or through a rescue? It sounds like he is frightened by you, which may mean that at some time he was hurt or frightened by a male. It could have been a man or even a teen boy. It may just take a lot of coaxing and patience on your part to get him over this. Yorkies are very intelligent, but they also seem to remember if some one has hurt or abused them at one time also.

Even if your cooking does suck, dogs usually love it anyhow. I have found that there is very little human food that a dog does not like, even burned food.

MMM Yorkies

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My wife and I adopted a 3 year old un-neutered male Yorkie in early Sept. last year. We named him Chumley. He quickly adapted to the house with few problems. We decided to expand the pack and in Feb. of this year we bought an 8 week old Norfolk terrier female. Now the fun begins! We are all working out a number of issues but one that puzzles us is this: Feeding time went as usual for the first two weeks. Now, when I feed the dogs (dominant dog first-Chumley, in separate bowls, at separate stations,)Chumley runs from the room, hiding under a desk or chair,shaking - he used to just about knock you over to get to his food. I have to bring him into the kitchen and hand feed him one piece of food before he will eat. Then he eats normally. The puppy would just as soon eat Chumley's food as hers, so we have stationed her at her food bowl which has helped. She's not a big eater unless Chumley is standing right over her, in which case she chows down. When my wife feeds the dogs, none of this happens, everybody eats without a problem. I know my cooking sucks but this is ridiculous!!

Any suggestions?

Re: Feeding Frenzy!!

Feed them separately. I have a 7month old female yorkie- 5 lbs, and a 70lb english bulldog- 5 year old male...guess who rules- she will not let him eat- bites the folds on his face etc. She is never hungry unless HE wants to eat...I've tried everything and now I take her in a separate room and feed her (sometimes I hold her while she eats) so he can eat in PEACE- she is not food aggressive to us- I can take anything out of her mouth etc...One morning she was just sitting by his food bowl and he was coming up from downstairs- and when he put his foot in the kitchen she just snarled at him- and he stopped in his tracks- then he looks up at me with these big sad brown eyes- as if to say- Please pick her up so I can eat! As soon as I pick her up he runs to the food bowl and goobles it up. They normally get along well- once and a while they do the same thing over toys- sometimes I have to break it up and put her in her pen for a time out...Although they said it is better to have two opposite sex dogs- I think 2 males may be more harmonious (although the bulldog and the yorkie sometimes sleep together- which is so cute)...I think it is a female thing- she rules over all the animals in our house and neighborhood!

Replying to:

Any suggestions?

Re: Re: Feeding Frenzy!!

I read and re-read your post. I have a six month old male (5 lbs)Yorkie and a four month old (35 lbs) English bulldog! My Yorkie rules the roost in this house so it can't just be a female thing. It is hilarious to watch my dogs. Giz guards my bed like it held the crown jewels when KC comes in my room. He is a very finicky eater and the only way to get him to eat is to feed KC. He takes food out of her mouth and she sits there and lets him! I have pictures of Giz eating lettuce because I dropped some on the floor and KC started eating it and Giz took it away from her! Love my dogs!

Replying to:

Feed them separately. I have a 7month old female yorkie- 5 lbs, and a 70lb english bulldog- 5 year old male...guess who rules- she will not let him eat- bites the folds on his face etc. She is never hungry unless HE wants to eat...I've tried everything and now I take her in a separate room and feed her (sometimes I hold her while she eats) so he can eat in PEACE- she is not food aggressive to us- I can take anything out of her mouth etc...One morning she was just sitting by his food bowl and he was coming up from downstairs- and when he put his foot in the kitchen she just snarled at him- and he stopped in his tracks- then he looks up at me with these big sad brown eyes- as if to say- Please pick her up so I can eat! As soon as I pick her up he runs to the food bowl and goobles it up. They normally get along well- once and a while they do the same thing over toys- sometimes I have to break it up and put her in her pen for a time out...Although they said it is better to have two opposite sex dogs- I think 2 males may be more harmonious (although the bulldog and the yorkie sometimes sleep together- which is so cute)...I think it is a female thing- she rules over all the animals in our house and neighborhood!

Replying to:

Any suggestions?