Return to Website

Lanter Message Board

Looking for your Ancestors, trying to find someone, post a message here.

Lanter Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: lanter cousins

I am a descendent of a Lanter and I married a Lanter. Milners and Lawsons are also part of my heritage. I would like to find more stories about Isaac Newton Lanter, he was neighbor of my Great Grandparents in 1870 from Cordova, Grant Co., Kentucky, and Benjamin Lanter born about 1798 in Orange County, Virginia, they are part of my family heritage. I married William R. Lanter and am working to make connections to the other Lanters. I am amazed at how we all intertwine. Contact me if anyone has any information to share.

Michaela

Michaela,
I just read your query from last year concerning Isaac Newton Lanter. To the best of my knowledge there were two Isaac Newton Lanters. I'm descended from the Newt Lanter, born 1822 died ca. 1912, He was Larkin Lanter's eldest son. He served in the Civil War, in Co. D 7th kentucky cavalry (U.S.) The other served in the Confederate cavalry and was captured in Ohio during Morgan's Raid in 1863. He spent the remainder of the war as a POW at Camp Douglas, IL (near Chicago). Camp Douglas was a real hell-hole on par with the more infamous POW camp at Andersonville, GA. Interestingly, my "Newt"was invalided out ofthe regular army and posted as a teamster in the Veteran Reserve Corps and assigned briefly to Camp Douglas. Perhaps the two men saw each other (I'm certain that they were cousins). The Confederate "Newt" was paroled from Camp Douglas in January 1865 after taking the loyalty oath.

There were also a number of Ben Lanters. My father always told the story of a Ben Lanter who was indicted for manslaughter after killing a "Frank Mussman" in an altercation in a Williamstown, KY saloon. I finally tracked down a transcript of the hearing in which Ben Lanter was aquitted for self-defense. It makes interesting reading. Apparently some of our Lanter antecedents were some wild-and-wooly characters. There is another story tld to me by a now deceased relative conerning some Lanter brothers or cousins who were involved in a gunfight in Williamstown, KY over a girl. The pllace where it happened was still known as dead-man's corner 20 years ago when I first heard the tale. Unfortunately I've never been able to confirm this story.

I hope this helps,

Steve Lanter

Steve,

Thanks for the stories on Ben Lanter. I copied the Will of Benjamin F. Lanter when I was at Williamstown, KY and I would like to find more stories about them. Benjamin Franklin Lanter and Amanda Olds Lanter were the parents of daughter, Davia Ella Lanter. You can find, Solomon Cox Lawson and his wife Davia Ella "Davadeller" Lanter Lawson, my great grandparents living next to Isaac Newton Lanter with wife Lydia "Margaret" Crawford, and children in Cordova, Grant Co., Kentucky in the 1870 Census. I found the other Newton Lanter in Union, Madison Co., Kentucky with his wife Martha J. and children in a 1870 Census. Which family does this Newton Lanter descend from and connect to whom.
My husbands Lanter family ends with Richard Lanter and Margaret Barnes Lanter from Madison County, Kentucky. We have been looking for the next connection to the parents of Richard Lanter born 20 Nov. 1825 Madison Co., Kentucky. I entered William Lanter 1805/6 and Rhoda Elizabeth Callahan as parents in my personal tree in the hopes of finding other data. I have not found any info connecting them. Now I regret adding this info as it is now being copied into other trees as data info. I am looking for proof in family notes or some documents, before I feel comfortable about the parentage of Richard Lanter 20 November 1825. Steve, what about your family line?
Michaela Lanter