Return to Website

Lanter Message Board

Looking for your Ancestors, trying to find someone, post a message here.

Lanter Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jacob Lanter

Does anyone have a picture of Jacob Lanter, or a family picture of Larkin and Jacob? Any Lanter family pictures are welcome in my photo section.

Re: Jacob Lanter

Hello William;

I wish there were more photos of Lark and his siblings, especially Archibald who was my dad's great-grandfather. I have a copy of that one photo of Larkin Lanter whom my grandfather, Larkin Fields, was named after. I have learned a lot concerning our Lanter's over the past several months, especially after have my DNA done both on Ancestry as well as "23 and Me". They were an interesting bunch back in the late 1600's and 1700's as they migrated from Essex Co.,Virginia, to finally Orange County. After Peter Lanter was murdered in 1773, the family scattered and some of his children were still rather young. It appears the Webb family took some of them 'under their wing', resulting later in Jacob, Peter Jr. and Hannah marrying three of the Webb Children. Jacob married Virginia Mary "Polly" Webb, Peter,Jr. married Hannah Webb, and Mildred Lanter married John Webb, Jr. Peter, Sr. was a mulatto and it appears his parents were also. I do think his wife,Sarah Sisson who first married Richard Bourne was also a mulatto. These families were part of a community of mixed race people, but I don't think they were Melungeons. Some were slaves, some "Free Africans", and even some mulattoes who owned slaves.

Penny