Return to Website

MNM Message Board -- Feel The Mayhem!

MNM is proud to be your "Home Of Wrestling Radio." We value our listeners' thoughts, comments, and questions. However, no immaturity or profanity will be tolerated! Enjoy the forum!

MNM Message Board -- Feel The Mayhem!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Hart Mansion Being Turned Into A Condo?

Courtesy: The Calgary Herald

By: Sarah Chapman

Neighbours are angry that Calgary's shrine to professional wrestling is in danger of being turned into upscale apartments and townhouses.

The grand southwest property is where Stu Hart taught headlocks to some of the world's wrestling greats, including his sons. Hart house itself could be turned into a duplex.

City restaurateur Dario Berloni bought the property at 435 Patina Place S.W. last year and applied to the city for a land use amendment.

If re-zoning is approved, Berloni would build and sell multi-family dwellings on the 0.84-hectare lot to fund the restoration of the 22-bedroom home.

"I would like to save the house and it's very expensive to restore these historical homes," said Berloni, owner of Teatro Restaurant in downtown Calgary. "We need to develop the land in order to make the house viable. Otherwise, I cannot renovate the house," he said Tuesday.

Berloni, who has renovated historical buildings in downtown Calgary, said he was interested in the home because of its history. The red brick, three-storey house on the north slope of Broadcast Hill was built in 1903 by Judge Harry Patterson.

The home was purchased in 1951 by Stu Hart, the founder of Stampede Wrestling and father and mentor of many of today's pro wrestlers. After Hart's death last year, the house was listed at $2 million.

Berloni said the home, which sprawls over 5,600 square feet, may be too big for one family. He's looking at turning the Hart home into a duplex.

"We are debating," he said.

"I would rather have it as (a one family home), but maximum, it will be two. It's a very big house and I'm not sure who needs such a big house."

The plans have frightened nearby homeowners.

"If you're going to turn it into two homes, how on earth do you call that restoration?" asked Mitch Jago, who lives 100 metres from the historical home. "You'll put bathrooms and kitchens all over the place."

Jago says surrounding apartments would dwarf the home, diminishing the appearance of the lot.

The neighbour attended a meeting with the Coach Hill and Patterson Heights Community Association to discuss the plans.

Members of the group have petitioned Ald. Craig Burrows and Mayor Dave Bronconnier, requesting the land use amendment be rejected.

The application proposes accommodation of "residential development including townhouses, apartments and the preservation/renovation of existing house (Hart House)."

Darryl Cariou, heritage planner for the City of Calgary, said the amendment application would be sent to the planning commission for review then go before city council.

"We have received some comments from the community so far on this," Cariou said. "But ultimately, it's council who makes the decision on these. The decision-making authorities are made aware of the comments and opinions of the various parties."

The process generally takes a minimum of three months, but can easily extend longer depending on the complexity of the proposal.

Berloni said he is open to the thoughts and concerns of neighbours.

"We will communicate as much as possible as the process unravels with the neighbours and everyone," he said.

Re: The Hart Mansion Being Turned Into A Condo?

"I'm looking for something that takes care of the house and takes care of the neighbours' concerns."

One of those neighbourly concerns is the thought of waking up one morning to concrete and metal instead of a stunning view of the city.

"Across the street from the property are some really fancy shacks that have unobstructed views of the city and that's why those people moved there," said Jago, who was told the apartments would stand four storeys.

"Those views will be restricted."

Berloni contends the buildings will not be eyesores.

"We will not obstruct views in any significant way," he explained, adding he is willing to pay higher costs to build separate buildings, simply to keep them low and out of sight of neighbours gazing out their windows.

He said it's too soon to say how many buildings could be erected beside and behind the Hart home on the 2.1-acre lot, but it won't be a "crazy number."

Ross Hart, son of the wrestling legend, said he knows the restoration is expensive and understands the need for housing that can generate revenue, but added it's tough to see his family home change.

"It wouldn't have been my first preference. I've been accustomed to that landscape all my life," he said. "But I suppose as long as the house itself is retained, as long as there's no demolition and the major contents of the house are preserved, I have no real objections as to what it's used for."

Neighbours want things to stay the way they are.

"The land needs to be preserved," Jago argued. "All 2.1 acres of it."