Maranello House Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Stuart's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1978 Fiat 900T campervan (restoration thread)...

Well I started the restoration today, and started off with removing the rust. I now know I need the 2 front arches, the 2 rear arches, the sills, underneath the rear bumpers, some of the floor, the entire left hand side area above the rain channels, the 2 tailgates (upper and lower), and thats just the bodywork, I havent even looked at the chassis, engine, gearbox, interior, dashboard, or electrics , oh well at least i got the windscreen washer to work

Here are some pictures of the 'slight' rust...

Good to see someone taking the time to restore an 850. I look forward to following your restoration here and hope it is of help to others who may be thinking of doing the same thing.

Good on you

Well not much has happened what with work and trying to clear space around the camper to work on it, but i have got a little update, it seems that a previous owner did a little bit of modifying as its been fitted with a rare Fiat 850 coupe engine . The original engines had 35bhp, but the 850 coupes had 52bhp (feel the power ). best of all the spare engine is also an 850 coupe engine, so thats me happy for a while (until i start grinding out the rust that is).

Well i have been taking off the filler that seems to cover 30% of the camper, and here are some of the pictures of the rust, filler and holes...

Yes that filler IS an inch thick

Oh dear Chris, your work really is cut out on this. I've only ever seen a car with that much filler once and I ended up giving up on it.
Keep your chin up, it'll be worth it in the end.

Thanks Stuart for the encouragement, it helps alot

Sorry for the lack of updates, but there is not much i can do as i am waiting for another Amigo owner to strip his so i can fix mine. The only bits i could do without his parts are - take off the front spotlights, and do loads more sanding

Oh, i have also starting stripping down the spare engine

Well i am still waiting for parts but i now have a mate off Retro-Rides who is helping out with the restoration , he had offered me a lend of a car battery so i could test the lights etc, so last Sunday (19th October) he popped along in his 1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500 and not only lent me the battery, but also helped me try and start the engine, and after 4 hours of tinkering, the campervan is running very nicely indeed, plus all the lights work too

Videos of the first start...
http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w327/jikovron/?action=view¤t=MOV00003.flv
http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w327/jikovron/?action=view¤t=MOV00004.flv

Lights work

Hi There.
I too have just had my fiat 900e pandora delivered and sort of starting it. The roof seems to be the main niggly issue. I dont really know much about them but fell in love, as you do.. Hasnt been started in 5 years but dry stored, Hoping that i can get it to run. Just trying to source the correct battery to begin with.#Please keep in touch as id like to learn from you as you go. Mine is same colour too but with the pandora roof.
Many thanks for the post.

Hi There.
Did you get the camper done?
Im almost done to a degree, body looking ok but still i will need to do the roof