Maranello House Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Stuart's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Little guide to changing rear springs on a Fiat Panda MK2

My mate Jim who owns Sylvia the Fiat Panda asked me to change the springs on his Blue Panda as it is fitted with lowered springs and he wants to put standard ones back in.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

First thing though was to get the car started as the battery was flat. I got Juppy my Panda started this morning after fitting his new carb so that pleased me enough to use him to jump start the blue car.

The rear srings are very easy to get out and it only takes about 20 mins to change them. All you do is jack the car up using the rear tow mount so the rear suspension is hanging. (make sure the car is held with axle stands at the sills though). Then losen off the 17mm nuts that hold the dampers at their bottom nounts. Gently tap both dampers out (spray a little wd40 to make this easier) Make sure you do both dampers as once they are off it allows the rear suspension to drop equally on both sides and drop further.

It's just a case then of lifting the springs out.
Standard and short springs.

It's only a matter of lifting the old springs out and setting the new ones in. Make sure though you line the springs with the plastic insert located on the swinging arms. If you have another decent jack it is a good idea to use it to lift the swinging arms enough to slide the damper back on without having to prise them on.
And it's done.