Maranello House Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Stuart's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
127 Restoration

Just visited your site to view someone elses hard work on a 127....probably one of Fiats finest creations in the small car bracket.

Looks like your doing a fine job in giving back this little car another 25 years. Have another look at the patch welds on the rear shock/wheel tubs, the wheel tub is reinforced under there by the shock mounting reinforcment; Its spot welded together and the rust forms between the wheel tub and the shock reinforcement plate. by welding in a new plate repair the previous owner may have resealed the rust.....

If you look under the front wheel arch and opposite where the engine bay chassis rail runs down, this is double skinned and a rust weak spot...particularly adjacent to the offside engine mounting point.

I`m probably a few stages in front of you on a 127 1300GT...its not a straightforward job rebuilding a car, but I find it very rewarding.

I hope to sell the GT upon completion and guess what? its an Irish car reg number is GIB **** (FOUR DIGITS)

Re: 127 Restoration

Hiya Rob. Good to see you visiting my site and keeping a watchfull eye on how I'm getting on. Praise from yourself is very welcome indeed. Everyone I seem to speak to about 127's all say Rob Miller is the man you need to speak to about that.
I see what you mean about the turrets. I had an Uno Turbo go in exactly the same area once and from experience of fixing it I double checked the rear arches of the 127. I'm happy with them as I have taken them back to the metal and there's no signs of any old rust. I decided not to go the whole way and see about finding replacement inner arches but hope at some point to come across a set and fit them. Work at the moment on the car is very slow but I can't wait to get the first coat of paint on.

A 127 GT indeed with N.I plates. Very interesting. If you have any pics of it would you send them to me I'd love a nosey at them. If you do decide to sell it at the end of the restoration let me know I might be very interested in it specially if I can find out who it used to belong to if it's originally from N.I. It would look well beside my car in the garage.

I hope you keep calling in to check on my progress and to make sure I'm doings right. I would value your opinion.

Stu