Return to Website

HHS Class of '59

Welcome to the Discussion Forum for HHS'59 ! If you are a classmate or just visiting, we would like to hear from you.

HHS Class of '59
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hello to All

Hello, Everyone.

My name is Tom Johnson, and I am a member of the HHS Class of '67. I have lived in Kentucky since 1973, but I was born and raised in Hammond. I grew up on Woodward Avenue.

If you don't know me, you might have known my dad. He worked at Minas's for 37 years. Dad was in charge of the parking lot and the parking garage. He only had one arm, and many people remember him as "the one armed man from Minas's parking garage."

Dad passed away in 1994, and almost eleven years later, I still miss him very much. He was a great dad.

I wrote this letter to dad just a few days ago, and I want to share it with you folks here.

"A Letter to Dad"

Dad, I wish I had expressed to you, before you left this world, my gratitude for all that you did for me. I took you for granted my whole life, not fully comprehending what great sacrifices you made for me.

You worked two jobs so that you could put me through college without my having to contribute a dime toward the cost of my education. You worked so that I could concentrate fully on my studies without having to hold a part time job.

We didn’t get to do a lot of things together, since you worked a full time job and had your parking lot striping business going at the same time.

I guess we probably spent more time together in painting parking lots than in doing anything else. I’m so glad that I have that time to look back on now. I learned to take pride in what I do as I observed how particular you were to get everything just right for your customers. A parking lot that had been painted by you, Dad, was a parking lot painted by the best. The lines were straight, with no over-spray of paint. The paint would be applied evenly and generously. There would be no spilled paint on the pavement when the job was done.

Despite the fact that you were painting those parking lots to earn money for my education, you still paid me to help you. Even though you did it all for me, you were so good about getting someone else to help you whenever there was something that I wanted to do; I didn’t have to miss out on the fun things that kids do in order to help you paint parking lots. You made life as good for me as you possibly could.

We did get to do a few fun things together, despite all the hours of work that you put in. I remember our camping and fishing trips to the Kankakee River. I enjoyed those times so much. I remember the week during my junior year of high school that you let me skip school and go to Kentucky Lake for crappie fishing with you. I don’t know how you arranged for my absence to be an “excused” absence, but you pulled it off somehow.

Dad, I would have loved to have had more time with you doing the “fun” things, but how can I fault you for working so hard to make life easy for me?

I don’t remember you ever actually telling me that you loved me, but I never doubted that you did. You showed me that you loved me rather than just telling me that you did.

I love you, Dad, and even though you have been gone nearly eleven years now, I somehow believe the Lord is letting you read this letter. No one ever had a better Dad.

Your son,

Tom

I'm not sure if this message board allows pictures to be included or not, but I will try to post one of my mom and dad here. This was taken in the summer of 1977. Dad would retire from Minas's in 1978 and move down here with Mom to Ky where I am now. Mom and Dad were both born and raised in this area.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Re: Hello to All

I forgot... I was going to ask anyone who knew my dad to please post a reply or email me. Dad had lots of friends, so there's a good chance that someone who reads my post will be someone who knew Dad. Please let me hear from you.

Tom