Return to Website

HHS Class of '59

Welcome to the Discussion Forum for HHS'59 ! If you are a classmate or just visiting, we would like to hear from you.

HHS Class of '59
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Great Web Site!

I think this web site is great! Frank and I are in contact with many of our old (excuse me) classmates from both classes ('59 and '57). A group of gals from HHS (and one or two from Tech) meet regularly and catch up on gossip and families.

We started getting together the second weekend in October each year at Rich and Evelyn Haskell's cottage in Michigan. What great times we have had there. We met again in October to celebrate the life of Evelyn (Hayes) Haskell. She was with us in spirit.

I think it's time we planned another reunion. Frank's class has them all the time -- some small, some large, both here and away. It's great fun! I know Terry Lovell has been working on it. Let's give him some help. We would love to see everyone again.

Sally Strong Saculla

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What fun it has been to look at your web site! I envy your ability to put it all together and post it. I have yet to reach that level of sophisication in my use of the computer.

I signed up for Classmates awhile back and was thrilled when I found your name with all the info. I love the post cards. My dad, who was a writer, told me about the Jean Shepherd stories and for a long time my only contact with our old "region" was through Jean Shepherd's stories. My favorite is "The Opheum Theater Gravy Boat Riot" (or something like that title).

Unfortunately, my family was so atypical from the wholesome image of the fifties, that I not maintained a relationship with anyone who I knew growing up except Judy Hester, who was a neighbor across the alley. Her family moved to Florida during summer after Freshman year. I have kept in contact with her. It is only more recently that I have felt comfortable talking about that period in my life which was fraught with one bad decision after another.

Fortunately, I have a happy life now and have had many, many successes in my life. I have a wonderful husband and have five daughters and six grandchildren. I retired early from my job working in Chicago government where I received the Kathy Osterman Superior Public Service Award just prior to retiring.

I worked in Democratic politics for years. Now am a judge of elections for the New Trier Township Democratic Party and that has been the extent of my political involvements these days.

In retirement, I am tending interests that I put aside during these years of working and raising my family. I am taking classes in painting and have loved it.

My husband is still working, but we are making plans for future endeavors together when he retires. We have begun to travel outside the U.S., having stayed in Florence, Italy for a wonderful time amidst the Renaissance art.

Again, thanks so much for your time and attention to presenting these wonderful photos and history. What a labor of love!

Sincerely,

Carol (Eret) Niec

Glencoe, Illinois