USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crossing the dateline

George,
We crossed the equator travelling South on 22 September 1961 Longitude 39 degrees- 30 minutes W. I don't remember the exact time we crossed the line...I didn't even feel the bump!

Richard,

Thank you for your response, but I did not go aboard until April 1962, after the cruise around the horn. the one thing that I remember about crossing the dateline is that the Bos'n made the announcement to "Set all clocks ahead 24 hours to adjust for the International Dateline." I don't remember any ceremony into the Order of the Golden Dragon.

George

George, my apology. You requested info re: Crossing the International Dateline and I responded with info re: Crossing the Equator. Your suggestion that the Dateline crossing of 5 or 6 Oct. 1962 is probably correct. We departed San Diego on 13 Sept 62, Hawaii 27-30 Sept and Yokosuka 10-14 Oct 62. Somewhere I have a certificate of the Golden Dragon. I haven't seen it in many years as I never treated it with the same degree of respect (?) that I did the Shellback certificate which I had laminated and mounted on wood for display. If I do find it, I would expect to see the date, lat and long, but probably not the time. I will look for the Golden Dragon Certificate in the next few days and if it has the information you are seeking, I will post it. Again, sorry for the confusion.
Richard

George, Found my "Domain of the Golden Dragon" card which states, Known ye that on this 4th of October 1962, at latitude 29'50' n. longitude 180' the USS Kitty Hawk CVA-63 entered the limits of my realm that having been said sane and worthy....etc a dweller of "The Far East". No time was indicated on the card. Hope this works for you.
Emil Pucci
V-3 Div. Plank Owner

Emil:

Thank you very much for this information. It will be helpful in completing some of my records.
You were in V-3 Div. do you remember Michael B. French in V-3 Div. on the '63-'64 cruise? Was transferred to Whidby Island after we entered Bremerton Ship Yard?

George French
2nd. Div.

George, I completed my enlistment after my active duty had been extended for a short period due to the "Cuban Crisis". I left the Kitty Hawk while in the Far East during December of 1962. So, I didn't know the person you mentioned. Take care, Emil