USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Remember Dec. 11, 1973

My brother was killed aboard the fire on the Kitty Hawk December 11th 1973... I was only 12 at the time, my brother only 19. Just a kid himself... I'll never forget the uniform officers coming to our door... God Bless you for any help you had in getting my brother home... It seemed to take forever, I know they were taken off in the Phillipines and it seemed time went in slow motion for his body to return to us in Michigan... Michael Randy Deverich....

Re: Remember Dec. 11, 1973

I got off the ship In June of 73,P-1 Div #4MMR and knew a couple of those guys although we didnt hang together too much.I always wondered if any who came to my moms early in 73 were involved or passed.I know my friend Ricky Parcells(4mmr)had to help in the recovery and identification.From late 71 to late 72 I too had the unenvyable task of fighting ahalf a dozen fires in #4MMR and can only imagine what that day was like for everyone in#1mmr since we were so fortunate to get those fires under control fairly quickly.My prayers go out to all those who were affected by that terrible tragedy.Love you guys.