USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Ship history 1975-1979

For the record, IC2 Bell, it is ICFN Kranenberg, not IC2 Kranenberg. You should know this since my Captain's Mast (reduction in rank; IC3 to ICFN, half pay for one month, 2 week restriction to ship) was indirectly a result of your antics!

Re: Ship history 1975-1979

I am a bit confused by your posting. I was on the Kitty Hawk from Nov 71 to April 76. The Hawk went into dry dock, at Hunters Point, in early 73. She went in as a CVA63, but she came out as a CV63. She had her number one elevator enlarged and it was also hung to go up and down at a 6 degree angle. The jet blast deflectors were enlarged to accommodate the F14's, as were the catapults. The ship also had the ASW (anti-submarine warfare) equipment and rooms installed to make the ship the first Navy Multi-purpose carrier.
She did not carry any F14's on her cruises in 73-74 or 75. I do remember F14's practicing landings and take offs just a few weeks before the Hawk went into Bremerton Dry Dock (March 76) for an extended one year overhaul.

I was on the Hawk from 1972 to 1975 and I confirm Richard's post about Hunter's Point. After we left Hunter's Point we were involved in the Hawk's first RIMPAC in 1973. You can find more information by searching for USS Kitty Hawk in Wikipedea.

Kitty Hawk was changed to CV after/during the refit in 1973 at Hunters Point near San Frasisco .And was updated on two blast deflectors to accomodated F-14 fighters .
The fire in #1 main was at the beginning of the 73-74 cruise . In 1976 I left her in Bremerton in September during a major refit (almost everyone had to move off the ship ). There was no cruise in'76 .
Tim

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

To anyone associated with this website:
Any idea why your ship's History skips the 1975 to 1979 period? This was my 1st tour aboard and there is no mention of her yard conversion CVA to CV in Bremerton or of the big fire at the beginning of her 76 cruise or anything for 4 years???

Also, I plan to attend the Bremerton 'DeCom'ceremony from San Diego...anyone else going from this area?

I joined The Navy as an OSVET on August 6,1976. After 3 weeks orienation in San Diego I went on leave and joind the Kitty Hawk in Bremerton in September. As far as I recall the ship was already CV-63. I was assigned to V-3 Division and We Grinded, Rust-proofed and painted the Hanger deck as well as many other Voids and compartments and pathways. In February 77 I went on 3 week leave, Got married on FEb. 11th and rejoined the Hawk in Coronado. We went on Westpac 77 in May.

I regret not ordering a cruise book but if anyone can tell me how I can get a copy or at least a copy of my division group photo. My EMail SteveAnnaIvan@Aol.Com

Time sure does fly, It seems as just yesterday.

Replying to:

Kitty Hawk was changed to CV after/during the refit in 1973 at Hunters Point near San Frasisco .And was updated on two blast deflectors to accomodated F-14 fighters .
The fire in #1 main was at the beginning of the 73-74 cruise . In 1976 I left her in Bremerton in September during a major refit (almost everyone had to move off the ship ). There was no cruise in'76 .
Tim

Replying to:

To anyone associated with this website:
Any idea why your ship's History skips the 1975 to 1979 period? This was my 1st tour aboard and there is no mention of her yard conversion CVA to CV in Bremerton or of the big fire at the beginning of her 76 cruise or anything for 4 years???

Also, I plan to attend the Bremerton 'DeCom'ceremony from San Diego...anyone else going from this area?

Re: Re: Re: Ship history 1975-1979

THERE IS A 1977-1978 WEST PAC CRUISE BOOK ON E-BAY RIGHT NOW IN THE EBAY STORE SECTION US NAVAL HISTORY STORE THE BUY ME NOW PRICE IS $289.00. I HOPE THIS HELPS ,I WAS ON THAT CRUISE AND HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE

We went on the wespac cruise oct 1977 and got back may 1978

I also had the time of my life. unfortunately I had to make the most of it with my E-3 pay but non-the-less it was great. I wish I could do it again.

Thank for the Cruise book Info.

The change to CV occured just after I reported on board in DEC. 1972 .We went to Hunter's Point Shipyard near San Fransisco , California in the first part of 1973 . Part of the conversions made included 'jet-blast deflectors' and catapult upgrades to accomodate F-16 fighters .
I don't know about the fire you mentioned but , there was a major fire in #1 main machinery-room at the first segment of the first Westpac after the yard period in 1973 . We lost 7 guys in the fire .

Tim