USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
July 9, 1962 H-Bomb off Hawaii

Today, July 9th marks the 53rd anniversary of the H-Bomb I witnessed going off over the Pacific several hundred miles from Hawaii. It was the most incredible thing I have ever seen, and I sincerely hope NEVER to see one used in anger. It was 2300 hrs the countdown over the ship's !MC ticked off the seconds and milliseconds after the initial flash, brighter than the sun at noon, the sky turned the most intense shades of green, yellow and red as the shock wave spread like a halo in the sky. It was almost as if the ship was transparent and allowed the light into places the sunlight never lit. Words can never convey the feelings that I had watching that bomb. I am sure many of my shipmates remember that day.

Don Sooby ABH-2
V-3 Div
1962-1966

Re: July 9, 1962 H-Bomb off Hawaii

Hi there,
Yes I remember this incident also. I pretty much agree with your feelings about it. I remember being on the flight deck and was amazed that it was so bright that I could have read a book with no problem. As I said the last time I posted response to your post, it was explained to me that the lines we saw surrounding the blast were the magnetic flux lines that surround the earth. I don't know it that is true or not. But it sounds good to me.

Don that was a very good discription I remember it very well. Anytime since that day when I hear someone say we ought to nuke them it makes me cringe.

I know I was there on the date but don't remember any of it at all. Being a snipe and stayed a lot below the 2 ND deck and on a lot of 6 on 6 off shifts in the #2 Boiler room there was little time to much else. I always loved to go out at night on the starboard sponson off the fan tail and watch the power of the ships screws pushing us along and to see all the stars. Back there no one ever messed with you either.
Steve

Hi Don I was in the V3 from 1962, 1964. Remember your last name. I think we did some shore leave together.

H. Chuck Dillon

Hi Chuck, I do remember you too. I just sent you an e-mail Don

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime