USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kitty Hawk as a museum in Long Beach

I assume all association members recently received an email from Jim concerning the possibility of the Kitty Hawk becoming a museum in Long Beach. I may have missed a past dissemination of information on this subject as I did not receive any data concerning monies involved/required, what will/or did this study cost (if a study exists), and who paid for the expended efforts to get to this point. What is the cost to move the ship to Long Beach and who will finance, who will provide the resources for the renovations/repair to the ship which would be necessary to bring it up to a museum status. Who would be assuming ownership and what will this initiative cost the Kitty Hawk Veterans Association? Does someone have a study, a plan or a proposal which has been completed or in progress which would describe this project with timelines and details. I may have missed the last business meeting as I was not aware of an ongoing effort. I would love to see the Kitty Hawk as a museum but I believe this is a huge undertaking and obviously will require tremendous resources. Do any plans exist which describes how the ship is acquired, moved, and prepared to become a museum? That information would be of great interest to me and I would believe all association members.

Re: Kitty Hawk as a museum in Long Beach

Well there must be a place that is capable to save out ship and if it takes a collaboration with the non military people that want to make it a tourist attraction and so be it. I lived in the Long Beach area back when they opened the Queen Mary and the Spruce Goose. Long Beach has the draw. And how much area is saved as a museum at least it's still our ship.
Steve