USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for shipmates of my father 70-71 Cruise

Hi Richard ,
I found this movie of a launch of an RA5C from the Connie Here is the link the launch starts at 1:28 thru 1:41 I see them tension the bridle then tension the lanyards attached to the bridle they look like the are attached to a small turtle that slides back along the cat rail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfgDoTIkErI
This is the link to the video it's the best I've seen on the internet.
I have found on my model of the Vigilante both brible hook doors and now (because of your info)the holdback door also .I'm cutting them out as I'm writing to you LOL as I now understand how everything hooks to the aircraft I also know that what the bridle hooks to on the catapult is shaped like a turtle so aircraft roll over it when lining up for launch .
The hold back links I have is I shaped and was hooked to the hold back behind the nose wheel on either F14 or an F18 I had a buddy that was a Green shirt on the Stenis back in the 80's.I looked thru my box of the there are grn,blk,and blue ones all marked with different weights .
Thank you VERY MUCH for all the information ,
David

I have a post card of the Hawk that I bought in 1972. You may find it useful because it shows how the planes were spotted on the flight deck. I will email a copy if you wish.

Hi Jim,
Yes that would be great.I don't have many pic's of her with most of the CAG on deck.
Thank you very much,
David
bemmer78@yahoo.com