USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cover Up?

My name is Shasta my great uncles name is James (Jim) Fischer. He was on the USS Kitty Hawk in the 1960s (from 1966-1968). Not 100% sure on the dates. I don't have much information on him and the events that happened due to my Great Grandmother his mom has a hard time with it. So I'm trying to find information somehow. This is what I know. He was doing training for gas leaks or their was a fuel has leak. There were 4 people and only 2 masks. 3 people died and 1 was in serious condition. Not sure if he made it. I have tried to find information on him or about the incident but can't find anything. This was during The Vietnam war. im assuming there is some kind of government cover up because there isn't alot of information given and he isn't listen as a Vet on the memorial wall. We have no death certificate and his parents weren't given much information either. If you knew him or may have any information regarding this it would be greatly appreciated. Since I can't even find his name anywhere it's like he was never there. My Grandmother said he was aviation bowson mate. Not sure what that is much I'm sure someone does. Thank you for your time.

Re: Cover Up?

There is a J A Fischer on page 254 of the 67-68 cruise book. He was in the V-4 division which is part of the ships Air department. He was an E-3 rating at the time this picture was taken. I remember that some casualties were done at some point in the forward av gas pumping station due to a gas leak that happened while we were at sea. Don't remember the dates but I don't think it was at a time when we were in a combat zone so it would have not been considered a casualty of the war. I do remember that a few people did die but it was not broadcast ship wide at the time. I was interested because this had been my GQ station when I first went on board the Kitty Hawk.