USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Christmas Underway

I'm sure there were many Christmases underway during the 48 year history of the Kitty Hawk but the one I remember was the first one, Christmas 1962. As I recall we were in Hong Kong for a visit (what better place to load up on quality Christmas gifts to send back home) and departed about mid-December for a ten day at sea period prior to entering Cubi Point/Subic Bay the day after Christmas.
Christmas Eve we were steaming somewhere in the South China Sea and I seem to remember there were no flight ops that night. As usual, we were hanging out in the catapult spaces rather than the berthing compartment. Normally when not flying or doing maintenance or repairs on the machinery, many of us were engaged in serious games of pinochle. However on this night there was less enthusiasm for card games and a melancholy descended on the crew. Within the passageways and cat machinery spaces, all were cloaked in red lighting. The sounds of the ship were more prevalent as the usual sounds of the crew's boisterousness was muted. The Retraction engines tensioned cables were humming, even the automatic catapult steam fill valves operating seemed less invasive to our senses. Within this very large machinery room, bathed in red, traditional Christmas music was playing softly, "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire","White Christmas", "I'll Be Home for Christmas" and others. Not too much conversation was going on, perhaps hiding the misty eyes, the lumps in the throat or maybe private thoughts and reflections. Some were re-reading mail from home and thinking of those people and places worlds away from the Kitty Hawk. When the Chaplain came on the 1MC for the evening prayer, he created a meaningful rendition of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' that was a real time message for all who listened.
On Christmas Day, the galley chefs outdid themselves by putting on a feast worthy of a Norman Rockwell painting. Thanks!
On December 26th, we berthed at Cubi Pt., R.P. Bob Hope and the USO Troupe came onboard to entertain us and brought with him a bevy of beauties including Anita Bryant ('Paper Roses'). A memorable Christmas for me and I hope Christmas 2014 is as memorable in good ways for all Kitty Hawk families.

Re: Christmas Underway

If my memory is correct Bob came out to warm up the troops and ask why all the roped off seats. One of the white hats said the small area was for the admiral and base commander, the big was for officers. It was really hot and Bob said come on down. If the officers want a seat they have to set in the sun like the enlisted. And that is how come Bob Hope was liked by the troops.

Re: Christmas Underway

I got off the ship in the Phillipines and was home for Christmas. I remember watching the Bob Hope show on T.V at home and seeing lots of people I knew.