USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
U-2 launch

How many of you recall the launching of the U-2 from Kitty Hawk while off the coast of California. Question. Did we recover it after the launch or did it land ashore. Anyone remember the the captain warning the boats away from the test area? There were two foreign patrol boats making high speed passes on either side of the ship.
Don Sooby ABH-2
V-3 Div
1962-1966

Re: U-2 launch

Yes, I do remember the U-2 launch. I was coming back from liberty, abuout three sheets to the wind, and thought was really strange that I had to go through three rings of Marines just to get to the afterbrow. Even when I got on board I had to be sight recognized by someone from my division. When I got into hangar bay two I saw a really weird looking airplane sitting on a strange looking dolly. The next morning I was surprised to hear 'Set the special sea and anchor detail' and we were underway. I was in V-6 division and had a green jersey and vest so I made my way up to the 06 or 07 level to watch the operation. The U-2 could not be catted so it was deck launched. By the time it got to the island it was just about level with where I was. No it was not recovered.

I remember returning to the ship and the hanger doors were all shut and the red lights were on and yes the plane looked weird to me, but I was a snipe LOL.
From what I heard was that the plane made a take off on its own and after a while the pilot landed the plane kind of a slow hover and plopped down. The pilot then went to chow with the ships officers ( I wonder what officers called their lunch ) and after lunch the pilot made another take of and said good by to the bird farm and returned back to North Island.
Steve

According to DANFS it occured on the 4th and 5th of Aug. 1963

I think it was 1965. I saw it in the Bay 1. I didn't report aboard until Aug. 64

CVA-63 - USS Kitty Hawk - used for initial U-2A carrier tests in August of 1963, (U-2A 'N315X')

Found this

James