USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thanksgiving means giving Thanks!

I am enjoying another Thanksgiving, off the Kitty Hawk. I spent several Thanksgivings on the Hawk. I felt sad during those times. Now I am happy to have spent that time on our ship, so others could enjoy their Thanksgiving.

I hope everyone of us enjoys this Thanksgiving, spending time with your wife or husband, and the precious time with your children and grandchildren. Please enjoy the day. Just Remember our younger brothers and sisters, out at sea, this Holliday season. They are our protectors of our future!

Re: Thanksgiving means giving Thanks!

Those of us who were privileged to be 'plankowners' on the Kitty Hawk or assigned shortly after commissioning, were constantly bombarded with "Kitty Hawk Firsts" ; 'first sea & anchor detail'; 'first underway'; 'first re-enlistment'; 'first recovery'; 'first A/C launch'..... etc, etc, etc!
Our 'First Thanksgiving' was spent 'swinging on the hook' in San Francisco Bay off-loading ammunition after transiting from San Diego. It was an ALL hands effort - single, married, seaman, chief, officer. It was an all day evolution. No one allowed off the ship until the job was done which wasn't until late afternoon/early evening. To my recollection, there was not a traditional Thanksgiving meal prepared that day. Maybe someone else who was onboard that day has a better recollection regarding the food served that day.
The next day we entered San Francisco Naval Shipyard (Hunters Point)for approximately 6 months.
Happy Thanksgiving to all who served on the 'Hawk'. I'm forever thankful for my time on the 'Hawk', the friends I made and the memories, some happy - some sad, that nourish me to this day.
Rich Schuman

Rich, great memory, I was in a barge as they were unloading bombs. I was looking up at them as they clanging in the harness above my head praying they wouldn't explode.

Rich I was in V-3 div. ,by the time we got to the mess deck the turkey was all gone and we had ham.

We must remember that it was a different world back then and most families were much closer and things like a big family dinner were important. There were no I Phones, no Tex messages to inter fear with the time of thanks giving and home cooked delights.
I was berthed with B-Division and we were right under the after kitchen and you could hear the kitchen crew breaking out supplies from all the food storerooms under out sleeping space. And if our Port side hatch was open you could often smell the fresh baked bread and cakes being made. I have grabbed a few loves of piping hot bread when the baker was down away from the main door. And there always was those butter pats left over on the chow line.
I know that the cooks did there best with the supplies they had to draw from.
And yes the good and rough times still remain in my memory and I cherish them equaly
Steve

Like I tried to convey..........I wish our current sailors and soldiers a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. You are in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless America! and may God bless you!