USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Haloween

The Donald Duck hat...now that really brings back the memories. In Sept 1959 I went from boot camp to Phila. for ABU school (Cats & Arresting Gear). Immediately after checking in I was told to retrace my steps and check out - I was going mess cooking at the ABG (Fuels) Hi-Cap Facility at Bayonne, New Jersey. There the Donald Duck hat was required for dress blues, including while on liberty. It was the only time while I was in the Navy that I was authorized to wear it. I was told that the New York/Northern New Jersey Naval District (Third?) was the last Naval District to allow the flat hat during the winter of 59/60. When I returned to Phila prior January, the flat hat was not authorized in that Naval District.
I seem to recall that the primary reason for doing away with the flat hat (Donald Duck) was the inability for drivers to see sailors in uniform when everything was navy blue color - very dark. Back in those days, a sailor's primary mode of transportation was hitch hiking. Too many sailors killed/injured. I was glad I got the chance to wear it with my uniform. It was indeed very cool...especially since the primary liberty area from Bayonne, N.J. was N.Y. City, right across the river.
I tried mine on a few minutes ago. I have either become a gross 'fathead' or that thing shrunk after 50 plus years in the closet. Also, my uniforms fit about as well as the Donald Duck hat!

That's the reason I heard for it's discontinuance too. I never did get a chance to wear mine.

I let one of my nieces wear my custom-made dress blues and my pea coat to a halloween party years ago.
that's the last I saw them even though she insists she returned them. The only thing i have is a set of
ribbons and a couple of shoulder patches. Gave away a ****load of dungarees, when I got too fat to wear
them. Never thought I'd regret not having the uni, even if I couldn't get my new super-sized self in it.

Carl,I joined in Nov.59.The 1st. year at Floyd Bennet Field I'm pretty sure we wore the donald duck hat,Maybe during that winter it was discontinued.I'm pretty sure you were with us because we all went on active duty in Nov of 60.First the Brookly Navy yard and then assigned to the Kitty Hawk in Phily.

Hank, that's when I joined too. I know we were issued one but I don't ever remember wearing it.