USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Home Depot Veteran's discount

Live on Long Island, Suffolk Cty. Home Depot stopped giving Vet discount last year. Not sure about Disabled Vet discount. Still get 10% at Lowes Stores. Try to purchase what we need at Lowes if possible.

I live in Raleigh, NC, Home Depot has started only giving the 10% military discount to only those who have a VA ID with service related on it. Mine has nothing so I no longer am allowed that. I made a scene there first time refused because had been using it for 3 years no questions asked and was given no relief. Can't say about Lowes, they are farther away but did always give it to me but they had to call a manager for approval. Guess I will drive farther and see if they still honor it. The 10% would be more that the gas.

I was turned down last year. ask to see manager he said it must show on your card. will give every vet one on vet day only. I use lowes all the time now

After reading Bob's post I remembered where I heard it before. I was talking to my daughter's neighbor who also lives in Suffolk County. He was on the Enterprise and I asked him if he knew about the discount at Home Depot. He told me the same thing that they only give it to disabled vets.

I've gotten the discount here in Trenton,NJ but not in every Home Depot. Try not to shop there anymore because of the founders politics, don't mind if his politics are different then mine because that is why we went off as youngsters to allow the freedom of choice however when you don't even want to involve yourself or fund those who insist on practicing the politics of hatred then I also fought for the right to chose not to be a part of it.

I seems to me that A.)they should post the details of this discount where everyone can see what a great thing they are doing for the vets. B.) make it very clear who is eligible for the discount so that vets don't feel like they are asking for a freaking hand-out when they are denied in front of everyone in line.

I just returned from Home Depot in St. Louis,Mo and they still give a 10% discount to any veteran who has an ID card.

The 'ASSociate' that denied me showed me the company policy in black and white. It says "must say service related" in the text. Since any Veteran is "service related" then their policy must be about DISSABLED Vets. My status is none of anyone's business but mine and the VA's so, I'm not going to comment on what they do in St. Louis, MO., but here in Calif. I have received the discount from other associates since last Sat. because they have the decency to care a little. So, it seems to be .....random acts of kindness on their part I guess.

Little humor here with the discount postings. Last year I went to Gander Mountain to get a fishing license. I asked the young lad behind the counter for the senior discount and he asked if I was a veteran, obviously reading off a list of questions from his computer. I said yes and then he asked if I was a disabled veteran. I said no and he said he could not give me the discount but he was not sure what to do, so he called his supervisor. The Sup. said you must me a disabled vet to received the discount. I said ok and then the clerk looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and asked, "were you in the military?" I looked at him for the longest time in total disbelief - said thank you and left. Walked out to my car and said to myself, "seriously?"

The Home Depot in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina gives discounts to retired and active military.

I Never Expected to Receive Anything For Being A Veteran, I Also Belong to the American Legion Post 24 Lake Geneva, Wi. Our Post Will Always March in Full Dress With Our Honor and Color Guard carrying All Flags in All City Parades, as we Pass By, By Standers Always Give Us a Standing Ovation and Shout THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!! This Always Gives You A Whole Lot of Gratification and PRIDE....

I just got a reply from the Home Depot home page to my email. They said the everyday discount is for retired military personal of 20 years or more and active duty military. The discount for the other vets. is on the 3 holidays Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. Like I said in an earlier post it looks like each store is doing it their own way. I guess you have to find one that gives you the discount or go to Lowes.

I have Home Depot And Lowes on same road near home. Both give a 10% discount under $100 no manager approval, over $100 manager approval required.I just completed upgrade to kitchen through Lowes and it really added up on all purchases not labor It was well over $500 off. I use a veterans card issued by county clerks office.

Bob my daughter has a friend who works at Home Depot and she asked him what the policy was. He said each store does it differently. He works in the Bellport store and they give the discount to everyone. I don't know where you live in Suffolk County but if you need something from them you might try that store if it's close enough. Just before I posted this message I sent an email to Home Depot about this situation and if I get an answer I will post it here.

You folks may want to look at this youtube showing the Home Depot discount.

http://www.military1.com/army/article/457713-home-depot-denies-vets-military-discount

Note also, if you plan on buying a new Ford vehicle and are a member of the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) you can really rack up with the X-Plan. You will have to call the DAV, give them your membership number and they will give you a link where you can retrieve the code to put on your X-plan form. What the X-plan does is to limit what the dealer can charge you for the Document Fee (which sometimes can be $600) and a flat price for the vehicle + tax + tag + title. To be a member of the DAV you only have to be rated at 10%, which most of us can get through tinnitus (ringing in the ears).

I hope this helps.

John Weiser
VA-195 1972 and 1973-1974 cruises