USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Agent Orange

Are there any Kitty shipmates that were involved like me in moving agent orange barrels on the ship around 1976 or 1977? Thanks

Re: Agent Orange

Are you really serious? Agent Orange was used early in the Vietnam war. The US involvement in Vietnam, ended in early 73. Why would you be handling drums of Agent Orange in 1976……….especially when I know for a fact the ship had gone into a year long dry dock period in Bremerton Washington. Why on earth would the Navy have Agent Orange on a ship in dry dock? Please answer respectfully. I am very tired of people trying to get something for nothing!

PS

I spent four and half years on the Hawk. Made three cruises. My first was a Vietnam War cruise. I never ever once heard about this so called Agent Orange while I was in the active Navy. Only on this web site. It appears our memories tend to wonder as time goes on! STOP IT!

so many military veterans that really gave to this country………This story just doesn’t fit in! Shame for even suggesting!

Here is another question for you, Jack. I have three cruise books, showing daily life pictures on the Hawk from 72 through 75, and into 76. Why is there NOT EVEN ONE PICTURE of agent orange barrels in any of them? Remember, this was before PhotoShop!

Like a good poker game……I am calling your hand! ………… Will you fold or stay…….or maybe even raise?

Whether you saw it or not, it was aboard in the mid 60's. I was in a working party and a barrel of AO (one of several) being brought aboard leaking all over me and two shipmates. Soaked us good and proper
Have a good day
Don Sooby ABH-2
V-3 Div
1962-1966

I call your hand, Don Sooby!

Whether you read the original post or not Don, he was saying this happened in 1976. You are off by a good 10 years! I still stand by my post. In 1976, there was no such thing as Agent Orange on the Hawk! Now tell me any different!
Am I wrong? What reason would there possibly be for Agent Orange on a carrier going into a year long overhaul? I await your response Don!

What I don’t like is people trying to take something and make it to work in their advantage. I believe this is what is going on here! I know in my heart, there was no agent orange on the Hawk during my four and half years I was stationed on her. I await proof otherwise! I mean proof, not just some lame comment.

No, I read the entire thread and also the time referred to. I can't speak for what was aboard in 1970's. I just wanted to point out, that at least once, we had defoliants aboard. I CAN speak as to what happened to me while I was aboard, and I know beyond a guess, or a shadow of a doubt that several kinds of defoliants (Agent Purple and White and Agent Orange... so called because of the color of the bands painted around the drums) were brought aboard. Why? I don't know. Do I have photographic proof? Nope. Who would think to take pictures of a bunch of leaky barrels? Who had a camera... and who cared? I was working, Who knew or was worried about the future? Not me at the time. Had I known, I would have gone to sickbay to be decontaminated. I guess the controversy is likely to continue until most of us are dead. I know there wasn't a huge stockpile and I have no idea how long it stayed aboard, but I know it was aboard. If you find your photographic proof, let me know. It would be great to add to my collection, but for me, I have all the proof I need. I was told at the time by someone way higher in rank than me, what I was soaked in. I was told it was defoliants and it wouldn't hurt me. Not to worry. I asked what the different colored banding on the drums meant, and I was told that it denoted different types of defoliants. Because of that, I just let it dry on me and continued doing my job. I tend to forget many things, but I will not forget the soaking, or what was told to me by that officer. Regards,
Don Sooby ABH-2
V-3 Div
1962-1966

That was a very touching story…..

But I still need proof. Why would we have that on an aircraft carrier? That means we sprayed. With what aircraft? Do you remember? F4’s? A6’s Cog’s…….It is all crazy. Why on earth would you use an attack aircraft carrier as a base station for folige spray operations? I would think an attack aircraft carrier would be better off in the North Vietnam area on bombing missions. But that is just me. Leave the foliage spraying to land based aircraft. Land based planes can surely be put to better usage! I also seem to remember this spraying was mostly confined to the Mekong Delta area……the most southern part of Vietnam. I seem to remember the Hawk was just up off of Haiphong harbor, just south of China at the time.

It seems like a long flight to just spray some jungle.

I do appreciate your time on duty, and I salute you! I just disagree on this issue.

I want to address this subject generally but not each post.. That would take me all week. This is a general response/support to Don's posts. My service on the Hawk was with VA-113. I started with the cruise around the horn and left mid June 1964. My duty stations were on the flight deck (as perhaps Don's) and the hanger deck servicing VA-13 aircraft as an ADJ2. I remember long tubes not barrels on the hanger deck forward with other equipment e.g. gas powered start up equipment for the A4Ds. A4Ds were repaired near that general area. What do I mean by "near"? I can't tell you but a bigger danger to all of us, especially those of you who worked and lived way down is asbestos. I am on the Agent Orange watch list but have no symptoms other than I am getting long in the tooth and my memories are fading.
I took a lot of pictures and I had some given to me by a ship's photographer. None of them show anything useful.
As a lawyer and former Judge what I have just written amounts to getting a case dismissed for lack of proof. But for the guys that are sick and those who died ( the news letter tells us there are lots of them) it all seems more than coincidental. And to the one comment about no one ever disclosed anything about Agent Orange while we were aboard? When did you ever know of the command telling us anything we should know?
Don, if you got soaked and are not on the Agent Orange list I would sure get on it.

Thank you Ronald for you remarks. I much appreciate it.

I feel everyone is missing my point…….I am talking about 1976!!!!!!!!! This was our country’s 200 year anniversary.

Like I said before

"Are you really serious? Agent Orange was used early in the Vietnam war. The US involvement in Vietnam, ended in early 73. Why would you be handling drums of Agent Orange in 1976……….especially when I know for a fact the ship had gone into a year long dry dock period in Bremerton Washington. Why on earth would the Navy have Agent Orange on a ship in dry dock? Please answer respectfully. I am very tired of people trying to get something for nothing!

I am still sticking with my guns here!

Richard, it is time for you to back off. You have made your point. This is not a ***** page.

Freedom of speech,………. just don’t push it.

I took a lot of pictures and I had some given to me by a ship's photographer. None of them show anything useful.
As a lawyer and former Judge what I have just written amounts to getting a case dismissed for lack of proof.

I can only hope you are off the bench for lack of proof of common sense. You seem a bit out there!

However this poker hand turns out, one thing remains, Any "brown water" ship in the US Navy or all sailors that worked on shore bases in Vietnam are considered to be contaminated or exposed to AO. The Australian Navy includes the "Blue Water" ships also. THIS is the point of contention. The Australian navy considers the fact that "the rivers run to the sea" and therefore, that body of water also counts for exposure claims. Our Navy does not. Cooley is right that the use occurred in the earlier days of the "Conflict", But he is also correct that no one has shown a picture of it on board the hawk, so far. I fold, too rich for this kid. Besides, I got nuthin.