USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kitty Hawk fire December 9, 1965

His name was Hayward Hale Braun (Brown) I think he worked for NBC. He was a reporter during WWII
Don Sooby ABH-2
V-3 Div
1962-1966

Re: Kitty Hawk fire December 9, 1965

Below is from the "blog" about my time in the Navy, found on my web site DonSafer.com .
---------------------------------------------------

The evening of December 6th we were taking on fuel from a tanker while our aircraft were flying missions over the South. Apparently jet fuel was piped through the #3 machinery room on the way to storage when a pipe gasket failed, spraying fuel under high pressure, into the machinery room. Ideally there would be no spark to ignite it but there was. We lost FA Billy Hooper of Blue Earth, Minnesota and FA Charles Philhower of Denville, New Jersey, both from B-Division.
I was in the office when we heard "fire fire #3 machinery room. This is no drill". It just happened that we had a series of ship drawings showing every room (space). We checked the fire's location and discovered that there was perhaps a 3 foot wide "void" between the #3 machinery room and an aircraft weapons magazine. Considering the nature of our mission, it was probably not empty. I expect the magazine was flooded as well as the void since I am here to key about it.
Soon the day crew arrived. It is standard procedure for those not fighting a fire to report to there duty station. They reported thick smoke on the aft hangar deck. Production Control was two decks below the flight deck beneath the Island, overhanging the sea. There was a void beneath us and then the sea. We did prepare our minds for the possibility of abandoning ship.
Although the fire was contained to the machinery room, the smoke, a killer in itself, was spreading and spaces above the fire were too hot to survive in. At least one civilian rep was nearly toast when the wall of his room buckled enough to jam his door. Fortunately a rescue team got to him in time.
Three hours later, when it was over, we had 29 injured.
Flight operations were not affected and repairs were started immediately. Major repairs were done three and 1/2 weeks later in Japan.