USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: mostly agent orange and our ship

Bob, you might try the Blue Water Navy organization. You can Bing or Google it but I think it is www.bluewaternavy.com or maybe org.
There is also a favorable case out of Arkansas I believe and it is in my "favorite places" so I will leave this site , go get it and try to get it to you.

Ron

Bob, give me your email,address and I will forward you the case. Ron

Bob, I am new to this site and was reading some of the comments. I saw your comments and thought I would see what you know about agent orange and how it involves the Hawk. Was it on board for shipment to the shore? If you get this message you can reach me at my e-mail address shown above.
Thanks, Mark

Just a silly thought here, and i don’t mean to be a downer! Just what type of aircraft, on the Kitty Hawk, was equipped with belly tanks, pipping and spray nossles? F4? A6? or maybe the old Cog? How about our helicopters? I am just asking a question! It seems a bit silly to me. I really don’t remember any big holding and pumping tanks on the Hawk to load up these funny looking fighter aircraft…….can you? Were these pumping stations in the hanger bay, or up on the flight deck? I can’t seem to remember seeing them ..Just where were these Agent Orange pumping stations located on the Hawk? Also. there must have been a large investment in equipment to cover spillage. Do you also remember those stations. They must have been marked “Incase of AGENT ORANGE spillage, contact Damage Control Central and head to you nearest battle station. Just saying………I am trying to be positive here on a very negative subject! This was back in the day of free love and loose drugs…….just saying!

Basically, I am calling out your Bluff!

Am I wrong?

Maybe the Hawk was just transporting this Agent Orange to Vietnam. But the problem with that is we never docked in Vietnam! Would we be loading planes with barrels of Agent Orange and launching them with the catapults to Vietnam…..I doubt it.

Do you remember all the barrels of Agent Orange being off loaded in Subic Bay? Or maybe we just transferred it to on of our local supply ships during replenishment . I don’t recall any of these wild ideas being true.

The 60’s and 70’s, those were such magical years! Anything and everything seemed to be possible. It only took a little weed, a snort here, a drink there.

In 1971 I was on board the Hawk, assigned to VF-114. I worked the night shift. One morning my buddy and I decided to stay up and look around? As we came up by the 'tower' we saw about 15 to 20 55gal drums sitting next to it! They had a banner around them?? My buddy told me that it was agent orange, well at that time we could care less if it had been 'Betty's Crackers! I don't do drugs, never had! I did not imagine those containers! Now what were they doing there? It was not an issue for us at the time so??? We forgot about them .

My husband also was on KittyHawk during this time..Therefore, I am writing in response to this comment. We have been dealing with Ischemic Heart, Diabetes , Neuropathy, etc. which are all ailments of agent orange.. At the time of his heart by-pass in 2007 we were told to go for med. care through the VA, which we did because we were concerned of him being able to work.. He has managed to work 6 more years, but was not feelin well.We have also tried for compensation on these illness from VA with no avail due to the BlueWater Law..I am now following new bill that just was introduced again in March. Hoping that will pass and we can see some help come through not only for us, but the many veterans who were put in Vietnam to fight for Our Country , but because they did not put a foot on land are being denied..So unfair to these many men and women who sacrificed so much and now are having all these health issues..Like you, my husband has stated many times about the barrels that were on board..Also, how can anyone with any type of knowledge not take into consideration about the water system..We have spoke to many veterans who are getting compensation for the same health issues my husband has who has openly admitted that these ships in Blue Water were more than likely more affected than they were.. Just wondering about the concerns or for any comments ..Thanks....