USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: entitlement to service medals

Indeed, there seems to be a lot of confusion over foreign awards. Even tho the RVN GC is authorized by the US Govt., it still considered s foreign award. My nderstanding based on a lot of research. According to official Navy instructions, the RVCGC is authorized for wear for service to RVN and awarded by the government of Vietnam. Period of award was 3/1/61 to 3/28/74. This only applies to the Gallantry Cross Unit Citation
The GC individual award was awarded exclusively by the RVN governmnt. Many times, Navy records have no record of this being awarded. I was in Vietnam during 1961-1963 before getting orders to KH. Attached to MAAGV and later MACV when MAAG was absorbed into MACV. Due to the nature of unit duties, received several awards from the Vietnam government. Navy records do not show any, just US awards. Fortunately I still have the docs fron Vietnamese government including GC. w/ bronze palm. At the least, the KH received the GCUC, therefore you are also authorized to wear if you were attached during the appflpriate perild.