USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: F8U launched with wings unlocked

Richard, I recall that incident too, but the one am inquiring about had BOTH wings unlocked and did not roll into the sea although he was close to putting it into the drink. It is a pretty vivid memory, but like most things I could be wrong. Just wondering if anyone else remember this. I think this one was from VF-111 Thanks, Don

Don, the incident you were referring to with launching an F8 with BOTH wings folded must have occurred after I left the 'Hawk' in April '63. I think it has happened more than once, both from a carrier and from land. RECOVERING an F8 on a carrier with the wings folded would be dangerous and dicey. Normally an F8 has a very high arresting gear engaging speed. Flying the plane with both wings folded would increase the speed significantly, probably beyond the safe limits of the arresting gear. Control of the A/C would be another issue, critical during recovery, however.....LANDING an F8 with both wings folded MAY have been done either on the 'Hawk' or some other carrier. If you find documentation that this did in fact happen, please let me know. I would be very interested in reading about it.
Allan, yes I recall seeing the pilot's white helmet floating in the foamy seawater after the F8 port wing folding incident off Cat 4. Don't recall any reports of the chin strap being found still buckled. During this incident, the pilot ejected however due to the rapid rotation of the aircraft to port, the ejection occurred when the aircraft was inverted and the pilot ejected directly into the water and the aircraft came in on top of him. This was observed by several people on the forward port catwalk and the flight deck in the vicinity of Cat 2.

It was a photo squadron plane. If I have the right pilot he was wearing a white scarf around his neck. With VA 113 I was standing near the launching site I watched the plane simply tip and roll into the water.

Do Remember This Incident Well as Several of Us Just Came off watch From 2 Main Machinery Room, Went to the Signal Bridge and Stack Cat Walk for fresh Air and Watch Flight Operations You Are Right about the Left Wing. We Heard later if its True, The Only Thing That was Recovered Was the Pilots Helmet With the Chin Strap Still Closed ???????