USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
entitlement to service medals

I was reviewing postings on the subject of the Vietnam Gallantry Cross. Several years ago as a practicing attorney and a candidate for public office in 1990 I wanted to state what my military record was and wanted to be absolutely certain I did so correctly.
I wrote to the records department and asked if there were any corrections to my record, The Good Conduct Medal was the only award shown on my DD214 at the time of my release from active duty in June 1964. I was in VA113 and was active in the action on the flight deck.
I receive back from the records department an amended DD214 stating I was entitled to the Vietnam Service Medal with one bronze star, National Defense Medal and the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, the latter an apparent contradiction about what others have been told, including me recently.
I have not purchased the Vietnam Gallantry Cross because of the confusion in my mind. I want to get this right. No mention was made of the Gallantry Cross on my amended DD214.
Further adding to my confusion are the hats I see Vietnam Veterans wearing at grocery stores etc. Those hats display the Gallantry Cross Medal of the right(facing the hat),the Vietnam Service Medal and the National Defense Medal or the Expeditionary Force Medal. One of the latter two in the middle.
Anyway in 1990 I went with the amended DD214 I received and have been perplexed by everything since then.
Does anyone have an additional thought of what is correct?

Re: entitlement to service medals

Indeed, there seems to be a lot of confusion over foreign awards. Even tho the RVN GC is authorized by the US Govt., it still considered s foreign award. My nderstanding based on a lot of research. According to official Navy instructions, the RVCGC is authorized for wear for service to RVN and awarded by the government of Vietnam. Period of award was 3/1/61 to 3/28/74. This only applies to the Gallantry Cross Unit Citation
The GC individual award was awarded exclusively by the RVN governmnt. Many times, Navy records have no record of this being awarded. I was in Vietnam during 1961-1963 before getting orders to KH. Attached to MAAGV and later MACV when MAAG was absorbed into MACV. Due to the nature of unit duties, received several awards from the Vietnam government. Navy records do not show any, just US awards. Fortunately I still have the docs fron Vietnamese government including GC. w/ bronze palm. At the least, the KH received the GCUC, therefore you are also authorized to wear if you were attached during the appflpriate perild.