USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Squadrons of the USS Kitty Hawk

And VA 112

Thank you. In doing some initial research, I found the mother load of squadron information at http://www.navysite.de/cvn/cv63deploy.htm. For all shipmates who have not seen this site, please check it out. If, during your tour, you see an error in this listing, please let me know and I will update the website.
Charlie

Chuck, I ran across a website years ago on squadron's that were assigned to the Kitty Hawk. It had to do with the "Tail Code." This website listed every cruise she embarked on and type of aircraft. Also check out www.navybuddies.com and add your information to the crews list. This was former Navysite.de or associated with it. The NC reunion is posted at NavyBuddies.

Westpac '97 had: HS-6, VAQ-135, VAW-117, VFA-22, VFA-94, VQ-5, VRC-30, VFA-97, VF-213, VS-29

I also have the last cruise book when the ship came back from Japan and they had CVW 5 aboard with HS-14, HSL-51, VAQ-136, VAW-115, VFA-102, VFA-192, VFA-195, VFA-27, and VRC-30. I know when we got to California we got VF-114 aboard, they had the first F-4's in the Pacific.

Carl Muller
I also have the last cruise book when the ship came back from Japan and they had CVW 5 aboard with HS-14, HSL-51, VAQ-136, VAW-115, VFA-102, VFA-192, VFA-195, VFA-27, and VRC-30. I know when we got to California we got VF-114 aboard, they had the first F-4's in the Pacific.

Were you onboard for Westpac '97. I'm looking for a picture of the Golden Shellback certificates that were given out.

No I was aboard in 1960-62.

Thanks guys for the information on squadrons aboard the Kitty Hawk. Come to realize fairly soon that there were many, many squadrons aboard the Hawk over 48 years. What did you expect from a "sparky". Therefore, I will provide a link in the Links page on the website to the complete list of squadrons and equipment over the years. It was a nice thought, but far too much work especially trying to add the squadron patch next to the squadron designation.

As you can see, I decided to add a page entitled Squadrons to the website. If I went with a link, you would have had to trudge through a lot of sponsor adds. Comments and suggestions are always welcomed.

Charlie, The ports of call for the first cruise were Norfolk, Guantanamo, Trinidad,Rio De Janeiro,Valparaiso Chile, and Lima Peru.

Carl, would you take a photo of our first cruise book cover and send it to me at chollyp@charter.net. I would like to insert it in the Squadron page of the website. Thanks

I am not very good with the computer but I will ask someone and get it to you as soon as I can. Also I don't know if it's my computer or not but the home page doesn't fit my screen anymore.

Charlie are you looking for photos of squadron patches? I can provide the photos of VF114 patches. By the way, the webpage no longer fits my screen. I'm glad Carl mentioned because I thought I screwed something up-----again. Thanks Ken.

Ken, There are too many patches to find and post, so I just listed the squadron numbers over the years. As for the screen size, check your zoom level to make sure it is 100 percent and not larger. If it is still a problem I will have to reduce each page that will take some time. Let me know please.