USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dec 6, 1965 fire

Today is the anniversary of the fire in #1 MMR which claimed the lives of 2 of our shipmates and injured 29 others. I thank God that day was not worse. It could have so easily been a disaster. There was ammunition all over the hanger deck. Thank you to those who fought the fire and brought it under control. Well Done!

Re: Dec 6, 1965 fire

Donald, I don't believe I know you, but I was a FA and 17 yrs. with a few months out of boot camp & was assign with R-Division/Engineering (Damage Control) when that fire occur. Several weeks prior to the fire I got to know Charlie, & Billy who lost their lives that day, they were also FA and were assign to B Division. I was one of many that fought that fire for 2 to 3 hours. Not only was there ammunition all over the hanger deck but it was very close to the ammunition compartments where many tons of bombs were stored. That experience was a wake up call, Charlie & Billy were forever tattooed in my mind 47 years ago. Thanks for remembering our shipmates Charlie, & Billy may they rest in peace and are never forgotten. God certainly intervene and helped us saved the Hawk that day. Raymond Hernandez

I Don't think this Fire Was In 1MMR it Was in 3MMR as I Was Assigned to 2MMR and Spoke to Billy in the Stragglers Pay Line that morning before he went back on watch in 3 MMR and I in 2MMR. Kitty Hawk wsa along side USS Sacarmanto AOE 1 taking on JP 5, Black Oil and ammo...

You might be right about the fire being in #3MMR. Time has a way of fogging up the old memory banks. Regardless, those fighting the fire still deserve a big thanks and I still remember the two shipmates we lost. It could have been a true disaster. Thanks all!

I served in #2MMR for over 3 yrs. (65-68) don't remember you. There was also a #2 Aux. mach. room with distillers.

The fire was #1 MMR

I served as a BT from 1965-1967 on the Kitty Hawk. I remember the fire being in #3MMR. It was payday and we had holiday routine. This is what saved many lives, along with the good work of Damage Control. I got my pay and went to my rack {GQ GQ ALL MEN MAN YOUR BATTLE STATIONS). I remember seeing the black smoke coming from #3 as I ran past it to my GQ station in #2 AUX.

Gary, you are correct. It was Number #3 Main Machinery room. I don't remember it being holiday routine though. I do remember Captain Carmody (who was in Bay 2) talking to another officer. He turned and his face went white as a sheet. I looked back where he was looking and saw a massive amount of black smoke pouring up from below decks. We were taking aboard ammo and fuel from the USS Sacramento and there were bombs all over the hanger deck. About that time, GQ sounded and lines were cut from the Sacramento. It was very nerve-wracking for a while. We could have had a catastrophe.