USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Agent Orange

I served aboard the Kitty Hawk in 69 and worked the flight deck and hangar bay. Can anyone else confirm if they saw Agent Orange in the hangar bay in that year? I have had my claim in for over two years now.
Thanks
Chuck

Re: Agent Orange

I am trying to verify the same information regarding the presence of Agent Orange on the Flight Deck, Hangar Bay, or on any aircraft coming onto the ship in 1969. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Shipmates
I'm Ron Marcoux and I served on the Kitty Hawk from January 1967 through September of 1969. I'm currently looking for someone who remembers me flying off the Kitty Hawk and going to DaNang on ships business. I was working in the personnel office and was a PN3 at the time. The approximate dates were 01/28/69 through 02/02/69. I currently have Reactive Airway Disease and Prostate cancer and although my VA doctor said they could have been caused by exposure to Agent Orange the VA insists I prove I have set foot in country Viet-Nam or they will not allow any benifits including medical service. If anyone outhere can help I could use your help.

Sincerly,

Ronald G. Marcoux
PN3
Telephone # 603-387-1626
E-mail rgmarcoux@gmail.com

Ronald Marcoux my name is Lauris W. Johnson and I was on the a Kitty Hawk from 68-70. I was on the flight that you were on into DaNang. I was in AIMD working as an AKAN and we went in to pick up some special plane parts that were hard to find at the time.

I have applied for benefits for stomach and abdominal problems that I have had for years. It started in the 70's before I left the ship and it is my medical records. Please respond to this if you could.

Sincerely
Lauris W. Johnson
740-384-6242

Hello shipmates,

I served with Ron Marcoux in X Division from 10/68 until 09/69. I was in charge of the three radio stations and one TV station. Once we arrived in the Gulf of Tonkin and were on patrol at Yankee Station, I found myself catching the COD and flying into DaNang about once a month. It was there that I was exposed to Agent Orange. I have since developed prostate cancer and type 2 diabetes, which would ordinarily be an automatic trigger for disability benefits. However, since I was a "blue water" sailor like all of you, I had a fierce battle with all of the nameless bureaucrats in the VA who were born with a "DENY" stamp in their hand. I had both of my senators and my congressman involved in applying pressure on the VA. What turned the tide was a letter that I had from Lt Cmdr Don Winslow, who was our X division officer. I contacted Don because I saw his name on the Kitty Hawk Veteran's roster. Don remembered me and wrote a letter on my behalf stating that "several people from the ship flew into DaNang to pursue the ship's business." Don has since passed away. I can neither confirm nor deny that we had Agent Orange on the ship. What I can tell you that I can make Don winslow's letter available to anyone who is trying to prove he had "boots on the ground." Please also note that studies have shown that the vapors from Agent Orange drifted out to the gulf of Tonkin. No doubt the nasty stuff was able to cling to our aircraft. I hope this helps you.

Hello Thomas: I was a crew member for the C-1A from 68 to 71. They don't believe me about spending time on the ground in Nam, So now I'm having my fun with the va as well, they can't seem to understand what my job was. If you still have that letter it just may help, Even a letter from you may do the job. Thanks, Rich

Hello Thomas: I was a crew member for the C-1A from 68 to 71. They don't believe me about spending time on the ground in Nam, So now I'm having my fun with the va as well, they can't seem to understand what my job was. If you still have that letter it just may help, Even a letter from you may do the job. Thanks, Rich