USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Billy D Hooper

I just happen to pull this up tonight. My uncle was Billy Hooper from Blue Earth. He had one brother Bradly (my father) and yes he has also passed away. Billy's father died when I was just about 5yrs old his mother passed away about 3yrs ago. I do not know much about Billy because I was so young when he passed away.

Re: Billy D Hooper

I knew Billy D. Hooper well, He was assigned to #3 Main Machinery Room as a Fireman, I assigned to #2 Main Machinery Room. as BT2 Top Watch. THe Last day I saw him was the morning of the Fire that ragged in 3 Main Machinery Room, maybe an hour or so before it started. I have never forgotten Billy D. I will always rememebr his smile. On this fateful day it was pay day we were both on watch in our assigned areas he in #3M M R, I in #2M M R, We had both missed regular pay, we went to stragglers pay. Billy was in line already when I arrived I behind him. We made small talk and joked a bit. We were both were payed and went back to our watch areas. shortly there after the fire started. It took 16 Hours to completely extingush the blaze. the next day we learned of Billy D.s' fate. To this day I still picture him in that Pay line..

Re: Re: Billy D Hooper

I was in 3 main the day of that fire.We didn't get very far out of the control booth when it started.There are a few of us that have asbestoes problems from the clean up.If you know of anyone else from 3 main they better get themselves checked out.I have some of my orginial orders for fire fighting school and I went with Billy

Re: Billy D Hooper

I remember Billy dropping into the SFM shop on occassion. He worked in 3 main. After all these many years I still remember Billy as a very nice young man.
G.R. Dinius/SFM2/1964-66.