USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for 67-68 cruise sailors, V-2 Div.

Would love to find "Dusty" Deese who I ended up stationed with in Meridian, Miss. and that crazy freakin' cowboy from Flagstaff, Az. Niel Logan. "the bean" ABEAN

I ran into Poteet ABE2, who lives now in Lodi, Ca. Howdy!

I look back on those days now and think....."What the hell was I thinking!" I joined the Navy to avoid ending up in a rice paddy and ended up on the flight deck of a carrier!!! (what an idiot)

Re: Looking for 67-68 cruise sailors, V-2 Div.

Do you remember the fire in the tire locker that took 72 hrs to put out? And how about staying out on the line when the Enterprise off to take care of the this with the Pueblo.

I know a lot of things from back then are fuzzy, but weren't we in port in Hong Kong when the Pueblo incident happened? Seems to me they called everyone back from liberty and got underway ASAP. We were going home soon and I remember a lot of sailors being upset at not seeing Hong Kong one last time before coming home and being discharged.
Ted Barker (Slim)
BT2 4MMR 68-70

Re: Re: Looking for 67-68 cruise sailors, V-2 Div.

Ted, if I remember correctly I think we were steaming for Australia when the Pueblo was captured.

Paul,
Your probably right. Like I said that far back things are fuzzy. I did some looking on the web and there was some kind of incident with North Korea shooting down a plane and they pulled us out of Hong Kong, after only 20 hours in port, to relieve carriers they were sending north. Oh well, I guess after almost forty years I'm lucky to remember my own name much less whether something happened in 68, or 69.
Ted

Re: Re: Looking for 67-68 cruise sailors, V-2 Div.

Ted, you know what i call that? I call it sometimers. Sometime you remember thing and sometimes you don't. I can still remember my first job when I was on the Hawk. I worked the aft mess deck and the last one was CPO compartment cleaning. Of course I spent some time doing my job while in VAW-114. Ya know even though I don't really know you it feels good to talk to someone from the good old days.

i'LL TELL YOU WHAT, I'D RATHER END UP ON A FLIGHT DECK THEN A RICE PADDY

Paul,
I also ended my tour on the Hawk as a Mess Deck MAA after a few serious confortations with my CPO ( I believe his name was Nelson )from B Div. We were in the yards in Bremerton and as an MDMAA, with too much time on my hands,I worked part time as bouncer at the Rendazavous Bar. Certain indecresions led to a couple of UAs and Captins Mast. After an RIR and 45 days restriction, I left the Hawk for shore duty in Maryland. I still consider my time on the Hawk one of the highlights of my life. What a great bunch of guys I served with.
Paul, drop me a line sometime, largebravo@comcast.net Ted