USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: V-4 Division Commissioning Crew

Hi

I was also in V-4 Division Commissioning Crew. Didn't see to many of our people in our time in the Veteron Assoc. Live in Everett, Wa. and hope to be at the Decommissing of the Kitty Hawk. Have not be able to get to any of the Reunion. Miss the one here in Everett did not know about in time.

Re: Re: V-4 Division Commissioning Crew

Hi Gil, I'm Bob's wife, Shirley. I posted his information. He's not in the best shape - hospice care. Like you, he never made any of the reunions and really didn't stay in touch with many of his Navy buddies over the years. He has kept his FRA membership along with the other military fraternities (VFW, American Legion, Amvets). I've got to admit, as a USAF retiree, the local FRA family has been one of the most supporting for us.

Re: Re: Re: V-4 Division Commissioning Crew

I, too, was on the commissioning crew as part of V-4 Division. Volunteered for Kitty Hawk while aboard the USS Lake Champlain (CVS-39), was assigned to various stations temporarily while waiting for Kitty Hawk to be finished, rode up the river with a large Kitty Hawk group on the USS Boxer, went aboard and started helping to get things shipshape, the commissioning in April, 1961, the shakedown cruise to Gitmo Bay, survived the trip around the Horn with stops at Rio, Lima, and Valpariso, up to San Diego and then 6 months in drydock at San Francisco. Made Second Class Aviation Boatswains Mate while aboard. My four years were up shortly before the ship went on her first Far East Cruise (although I did make the short trip to Hawaii) and I opted for civilian life. All this occurred during 1961 and 1962- 45 years ago. I went back aboard as a visitor in 1992 while Kitty Hawk was in port at San Diego. I slipped away from the group and attempted to find the old V-4 berthing compartment up on the 01 (?) level. Couldn't find anything that looked familiar. Time does do things to the memory. At any rate, I hope to see lots of V-4 Plankowners at the 2008 reunion when the ship is decommissioned.
Sam Burns

Re: V-4 Division Commissioning Crew

Hi Guys
I am a plank owner also and remember some of the names I see here. I have emailed John Woodard recently. I would like to attend the decommissioning when it happens and I hope to see you all there. I worked in the aft JP5 filter room and then in Pump Room 6 with Larry Webber. Seems like yesterday. Hope to hear from some of you.