USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How many people was on board when we ran over the Russan sub

Re: How many people was on board when we ran over the Russan sub

I was discharged just before the "Hawk" was deployed In May of "79". It was during that deployment when "she" hit the Russian sub. I read about it with great interest at home. Later during my career as a yardworker at the Phila. Naval Shipyard I had the pleasyre of working on her again, and the Navy finally got around to permenantly fixing the damage from that collision. The bulbous bow was replaced with a new one. The damaged one had been fixed by filling it with concrete. It was quite an operation, one of the heaviest lifts that the yard did in quite a while at the time. I wonder what the sub looked like.

I was on it then. I didn't relize how serious it was till i got a news article clipping from my home town by my parents.

I was asleep in my rack when they sounded the collision alarm....The whole shiped shuddered when we stuck the sub...Dont know if its true but I heard through the CPO grapevine that they took bodybags off of the sub.

Re: Re: How many people was on board when we ran over the Russan sub

I remember seeing what looked like arc-welding lights on the horizon all night long over the flight deck camera. I was assigned to OE-03 at the time, we were the ASW Technicians.

Re: Re: Re: How many people was on board when we ran over the Russan sub

I was onboard from 80 - 84. We ran over a Russian sub. I'm not sure the year but I think it was either 82 or 83. I have a photo of the sub after we hit it. You can see the scatches on the top of it. We went to Subic bay for repairs. I was told we had a hole in our side and a piece of their prop stuck in us. we also ran into a Canadian destroyer sometime in the early 80,s.

Re: Re: Re: Re: How many people was on board when we ran over the Russan sub

I was an HT for DC division, I was onboard wespac of 84 when it happened.

I was (MS3 Moore) on board. March 21 1984

Yeah, I was on board ship when we hit, and ran over that russian sub when we were doing exercises off the coast of Korea, and I remember you Daren from the mess decks.