USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kitty Hawk's first cruise

Oh yeah, I was there and did all of that, straight out of EM A school. Left in 1964 after 2 cruises for the America.

I also made the same curise as you .Got on the Kittyhawk in Philly,got off in Hunters Point.Have made three Kittyhawk reunions so far ,not planning to make the one in Maryland this year since the Kittyhawk will be decomission in 2008Hope to be there if the good Lord is willing,you know we all are getting old.

I was on the precommisioning crew.Had a great time Phippi.( 4th div.)( bridge team,) was on the bridge team that took her out for the very first shakedown run out of Phippi. Made the whole cruz,San fran. dry-docks & back to San Diego where I got out.
Shell back & Horned Shell back. Hupperich, Sam C.

Re: Re: Kitty Hawk's first cruise

G'day ya'll
Yep, I was part of the pre-commissioning detail. Spent the first few months at Little Creek, Va. Upon embarking in Kitty Hawk, I was first assigned to 3rd Div but was soon drafted into Fox Div. I had wanted to make the Navy a career but my mouth wouldn't let that happen, seems they frown upon full fleet seamen calling Lcdr's a**holes and liers
Shellback, Horned Shellback and what the heck do they call it when you've been across the line three times?

Mike,

I remember all of it. Was in Supply S-3 and S-5(Ship Stores and was Wardroom Officer after Ben Wiemer). Remember: Gitmo during shake down; Crossing the Equator 22 Sept 1961 as a pollywog;bull fight in Lima Peru; Capt Bringle and CDR Thomas, then XO Capt Coulter was later my CO on board USS Hassayampa AO-143; JFK's visit June 1963, visit to Bepu Japan where they left me ashore to settle claims( had to take a 14 hour train ride back to Yokuska to meet ship); ship broke loose in Rio De Janero harbor during wind storm; dry dock in San Fran; Officer shipmates:you, Barbarino, Merikangis, Kneipple, Wiemer, Larmer, Thompson, Bothwell, Ranieri, Umstead, Speer, Coates et al. Just found this website while checking on Kitty Hawk decommissioning. Has brought back many memories, all good. Wife: Barbara, 2 daughter and 4 grandchildren. Still kicking going into my 70th year. Hope you and yours are well.

Jack Woodall

I was in the pre-com detail at Philadelphia. I was on board for the commissioning and rode the Hawk to the West Coast. I was discharged in June 1962. While on board, I was assigned to V-6 Division and I worked for the Air Boss - Cdr. O'Connor.

I still own a sub busters T-Shirt