USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Original crew members

Hello Harry,
I was in "A" division with the elevator crew and also after steering. I was in company 180 out of the great lakes in may 1960. I was also sent to Norfolk at which time i was assigned to the USS Donner for a short time. We were then all brought together to go up to Philly on the Boxer.I used to live in Vermont and now we live in Ohio. Sure hope you find some of the guys you worked with. Do you remember Chief St.John. Drop me a line when you feel like it.I was on the commissioning crew and stayed on board till april 1964 at which time they flew a group of us to Okinawa to fly to the states.

Bob Perkins

i was in boot camp in 1959 but cant remember my company# was sent to kittyhawk out of boot but i was told it was the hawk that had the fire. also was on boxer, want to 3div on hawk 3class BM

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Looking for any M division or others that were part of the on board commisioning of the Hawk in Philly.

We were supposed to commission the USS Constellation but it caught fire in NY so they shipped us to Little creek first then to Norfolk N S we rode up to Philly on the USS boxer LPH4 slept in Hammocks on her. I was in company 444 in Boot camp in 1959

Harry,
As you know by my name I was one of the orignal crew member in M Division and was on pre-commissioning detail in PHilly, write to my e-mail address at liznica@msn.com

Would like to here from you

Nick

I also was in Norfolk and came up to phily on the Boxer, i can still remember standing on the flight deck of the Boxer and watching the Hawk coming down
the Delaware River I never saw something so big.I was
also in the 3rd div. with Binning and I was on the Hawk from 1960 to 1963 BM3. and a plank owner.
Rich Ech

Re: Re: Original crew members

I was on the original crew also. I was in Fox Div.

Re: Re: Re: Original crew members

IN Jan 60 OUT DEC 63
Yep. I was there, TAD's all over. Fort Mandan LSD-21 for a while, Cleaned Freshwater Sides on John R. Pierce. On the Boxer. Always waiting for the Hawk! Made the trip around the horn. Worked with Nick Albanese in M-Division. Made west-pac cruises and was pulling into Sasebo Japan where i was getting off to go back to the states to be discharged and that was the morning that JFK was assasinated. Finally made it to the states. What an experience the Kittyhawk was.
I still write to Nick and a few other M division guys.
How the years went by..