USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Where was the Hawk in may 1974

Oh yeh ... thats when we 'picked up ' some 'people' who had to be cataputed off immediately after we got back under-way . We were in the 'harbour'of a city somewhere in a combat zone . The only plane on board was a C-2 '000' or some such .
As soon as the Kitty Hawk started shaking her tail the plane was sent off .
The problem is we can't get a 'combat ribbon' therefore we can't belong to VFW etc.
The number of people was dimenished by the time they got to us so as I understood it at the time only one 'rescuer' and two 'rescuees' made it to the ship .
I remember looking out of the launcher window and seeing the 'lights' go out at the same time many jets went overhead .
Tim
thowland@clis.com

In May 1974 the Hawk was in the South China Sea and we drew combat pay I think for 2 months. WOuld have to look in my files, but I do know for sure we did get Combat Pay.....I think we were sitting of the coast of Vietnam.

I made 3 West Pacs on KH, the last was 74. The war was over for the US in 73 (US signed a cease fire in March 73). I have some recollection of being one more time on Yankee Station and receiving misc war hardware for shipment to Subic. 74 was when we went to the "then" Gulf of Iran and put on a air show for the soon to be disposed Shah of Iran. After the Gulf of Iran we went to Mombosa Kenya, I think it was Apr to May that this happened. I rem. discussions about not getting combat pay or war zone pay. However, I'm not certain on these months.

Re: Re: Where was the Hawk in may 1974

Yes, I think we were in the Indian Ocean about this time. I still remember walking into CIC when the Shah was being given a tour.. Everyone on watch had to be in dress whites.