USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Kitty Hawk proposed as museum- reporter's query

Mr DeSantis:

What a wonderful idea, to bring the "Old Lady" back to the coast of her berth and what a more fitting place than in the state of North Carolina where aviation got its start in theis country. It would give a great pleasure to have her as a museum rather than on the scrap yard or worse as a reef. She has had a long and distinguished career, time to give her a resting place.
Here hoping the the people of Wilmington can bring this proposal to fruition!!

Joseph Hrabak
Plankowner
Sagamore Hills, OH

Re: Kitty Hawk proposed as museum- reporter's query

I think turning the USS Kitty Hawk into a museum in Wilmington, NC is a great idea. It would be fine tribute to the ship, and to the men and women who server aboard her for the Kitty Hawk's 40 plus years of service to the USA.

There is ample room on the hangar deck to create a fine museum dedicated to the Wright Brothers, the ship and to the history of aviation.

A scale replica of the Wright Flyer should be placed on the center line of the ship and the length of that first flight (~120 ft) should be marked on the deck. The Kitty Hawk's Flight Deck is ~1000 ft, the first flight was ~20% of the Kitty Hawk's length, indicating how far the technology of flight has progressed.

Ray Stokely
Columbia, MD.
USS Kitty Hawk 1965-1967, with Attack Squadron 85.

I was very sad to see them sink the America. I would hate for them to sink the Hawk. I would love to be able to visit her for years down the road. I think we all have great memories aboard her. I will have to keep posted on it.

Aaron

Hey John,
Great idea.It has been a long time since i have seen the Hawk. I flew of to Okinawa back in april of 1964 after spending almost 4 years on her.I was a member of the commissioning crew in "A " division and this would put her really close to where we live here in Upper Sandusky,Ohio. Keep the site updated on this ok. It would be good to see the ship again.

Bob Perkins Sr

John,

I just read post about turning the Hawk into a museum and could not agree more with the other posts. I think it would be great and good place for me bring the grand kids.

I was aboard during the Viet Nam War and would be willing to do whatever I could to help make this happen.

Let me know and good luck.

Al Fernety

I've been waiting to hear this good news. If the Hawk berths on the North Carolina coast and becomes a museum, I'm going to be moving from Cape Cod to Cape Fear. I recently retired and would love to find a part time job in a warmer climate. Send me an application for tour guide.

Great to hear this, I have read the article and e-mailed John. I hope this happens, I live in the Raleigh area of NC and would love to work on this.

How fitting and appropriate it would be to retire the Kitty Hawk to her namesake state. I am a Vietnam era veteran of the Kitty Hawk and please let all of us know how we could support such an effort.
I would bet you could count on a Kitty Hawk veteran’s reunion in Wilmington if that were to come to pass.

I proudly served aboard the Hawk during the Viet Nam era and would make it a point to visit her in NC. I would love to take the grand kids there for vacation and tour. This is a wonderful idea and very fitting. Pleae let me know of any support you may need from me.

This is a great Idea. I served on the Kitty Hawk during Vietnam and would love to come see here again in person, she lives everyday in my office, I have over ten photos of her on my wall, one of which is 40 x 30". That would be an honor for all of us who served on her to go back home.

I think putting the Hawk somewhere for all to see would be great!

I live in North Carolina, and served on the Hawk from 1974 to 1978.... Would love for her to come to North Carolina, think it would be alright if I camped out on her flight deck????? The Hawk belongs in North Carolina since she is named after Kitty Hawk, North Carolina..... And she deserves a special resting place.....

Bill Haubrich
252-548-7099

Hi John,
I server on the Kitty Hawk from 11/67 to 6/68. Back then she was a good ship and I'm sure she is still in good shape. I think she should absolutley be berthed in NC as her reseing place once decommisioned. After all Kitty Hawk NC, is her name sake.

THE KITTY HAWK BELONGS IN NORTH CAROLINA. IM ALL FOR IT . THE QUESTION IS AN OLD ONE BUT LETS KEEP IT IN THE FORFRONT .SHE WOULD MAKE A GREAT MUSEUM

Re: Re: Re: Kitty Hawk proposed as museum- reporter's query

I agree totally the Kitty Hawk should be taken to Wilmington and set up as a museum. She has alot of history behind her.