USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kitty Hawk DECOM set for 2008

Greetings Shipmates,
Just bought the latest Navy Times while at the commissary, and the Hawk made the mini-headlines on top of the front page. The Navy says it will replace her with a forward deployed nuclear carrier sometime in 2008 . Trust me, I don't care where the DECOM is held, I will be there! I'll also have a set of power tools handy to take a piece of her home with me!
It's so strange to not see the Hawk, Connie, and Ranger over at North Island...and see the Reagan and Nimitz (when they're here). It's also strange to see my second ship, USS Belleau Wood, be decommissioned last month, after just 27 years service. (The new LHD ships replacing the LHA's are awesome!)
So set your calendars for a trip (somewhere) in 2008 to say farewell to one of the Navy's greatest ships! If the Hawk is DECOM in San Diego, I'll be happy to help any shipmates with hotel or other information you may need. (Ask the Chief!)
Hope all is well with you and yours in your part of the world, and have a great Thanksgiving!
Sincerely,
Doug Seamans
NCC(AW) Ret.

Re: Kitty Hawk DECOM set for 2008

Doug,

I also live in San Diego and would be happy to assist folks witht he decom issues. If they are looking into making it a museum (somewhere) they don't have to go any further than the USS Midway to see a template for a successful endevor.

Ed