USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Kitty Hawk Boot Camp Company

Dan or Bob. Can you tell me the origin of the Kitty Hawk Boot Camp? Curiosity is getting the better of me. Tks

Re: Re: Re: Kitty Hawk Boot Camp Company

Charlie,

Bob can probably provide you/us with more details, but we were a very green crew coming out of SLEP and had to take on alot of shipmates quickly to be properly manned coming out the yards and into work-ups. If I remember correctly almost all of C232 reported to the Kitty Hawk after RTC. I'm not sure of all the details, as far as whether or not they knew this was going to happen, from day one. Hopefully Bob can fill us in further.

Dan Tjarks

Re: Re: Re: Kitty Hawk Boot Camp Company

The Kitty Hawk boot camp company was put together with people from Delaware Philadelphia Pa area and New Jersey. We all met at MEPS in Philadelphia then went to Maguire Air Force Base for a air show (15 minutes from me) then prior to leaving for Orlando we were given a tour of the Hawk while it was still in dry dock at PNSY. After the completion of boot the members of the Hawk boot camp company went to thier respective schools (mine was HT school at PNSY) and after the completion of the school would all go back and serve on board the Hawk. There was about 75 of us and after the four years probably about 35 of us left the others being kick out for various reasons. If you would like any more info let me know I'll try to dig it up.
oh by the way I was one of the 35 or so that was honorably discharged. Just to let you know

Long live the Hawk

Bob Bates
Commander American Legion Post 194 Florence NJ

Re: Kitty Hawk Boot Camp Company

We had to have known each other with you being an HT... I was the electricain on the At Sea Fire Party when we left dry dock under CW04 Wilson and LT Coley (Mustang). I wish I had a better memory. I guess I ran with more of the DCs (DC2 Baker) than the HTs, but the two rates were pretty tight. I never thought I'd forget all the names, especially with the class Bravo in 2 MMR before pulling into SD. But my memory has slipped some I guess...

After seeing your picture on your web cite I do remember you. I was in the sheet metal shop up on the 02 or 03 level.

I was trying to find some more info on C232 and ran across some pictures of NTC Orlando after it's closure. It really kind of depressed me to be honest. Boot camp held some good memories for me I guess...

http://overall.org/NTC-Orlando/ntc.html

Dan Tjarks
EM3 88-92

Bob,
Joe Weatherill here, C232 Orlando RTC 9-89 to 11-89. Went on to Air Dept. V-1 Division Crash Crew for the whole 4 years. Got out after 4, now live in the burbs of Philly again. I've started a few sites on www.military.com regarding our days in PNSY. Try to keep in touch with as many guys as I can. Good to find another one.

Joe

Hey guys...you've found another one from C232. I was one of the flag bearers at the country club in Fla.Please get in touch!!!

I was the company commander of C232 (Kitty Hawk Company). Glad to see there are still memories floating around about those days! The other company commander was ATCS Richard Pollett. We had a good time working with all of you.

I was the company commander of C232 (Kitty Hawk Company). Glad to see there are still memories floating around about those days! The other company commander was ATCS Richard Pollett. We had a good time working with all of you.