USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Personal Web Site - USS Kitty Hawk Pictures

Dan, thanks so much for sharing the pics of the old dawg. Coincidence, I was a plankowner and put her in commision in Philly, was an EM3 in the power shop. I Transferred as an EM2 to the USS America in 64. Now, this friday am going to Philly for a last memorial service to the America which is going to be sunk. Say, when you were on board, did the electricians still bunk under the aft mess decks?

Re: Re: Personal Web Site - USS Kitty Hawk Pictures

I was on board from 12/1988 - 7/1992. We actually did bunk under the aft mess decks, it was a 2nd deck berthing area with enough for about 177 or so sailors if I remember correctly.

Seems strange. I never considered myself old at 34, but I've been out now for almost 13 years... Time sure flies.

I've wanted to get back to Philly for awhile now... I really loved that city. Kind of funny for a small town Iowa boy to feel like that I guess... My wife wants to take a vacation out there, she's never been to Philadelphia or NYC, and I think she figures I'd be a good guide after being stationed there for about 1 1/2 years or so (While in SLEP with the Kitty Hawk).

Have a safe trip.

Re: Re: Re: Personal Web Site - USS Kitty Hawk Pictures

Dan, I'm also a Plankowner and from Philadelphia. Now living in Wisconsin. When the Hawk was in Philly for SLEP, my aunt made a video of a TV documentary showing the arrival of the Kitty Hawk into drydock for the beginning of SLEP. If you are interested in seeing it, I will try to find a way to dup. it and send it to you as a thanks for the pictures. Just let me know.

Personal Web Site - USS Kitty Hawk Pictures

No thanks needed, but I'd love to see the video. I'll shoot you an E-mail.

Take care,
Dan Tjarks

EM3 88 - 92

Re: Re: Re: Personal Web Site - USS Kitty Hawk Pictures

I was in E-Div from 79-83, and we were under the forward weapons handling area, just aft of the forward mess decks..

Cheers,

Will Lamers

Also wanted to thank you for taking the time and sharing your pictures with us. I served on "The Hawk" from 77-79 and worked as an aircraft handler on the hanger bay. I also was a "Yardbird" in Philly from 80-95 and was proud to help overhaul "Her". Your right time flies but your pictures could have come from my time onboard. Great job, "Press On".

Dan, Nice photos and brought back many memories. I was on the Kitty Hawk from September 1962-May 1966 (Fox Division). I was last aboard the ship in 1995 with my youngest son while in San Diego on business. Looks the same as in 1962.
Thanks for the memories.

Hi Dan, I served 65-69 in OI div., good old Tonkin Golf Y/Club...5 tours....great memorys only diff. we had to make our own curtins and our lockers were built into our bunks on the inside...Thanks again it brought back good mem.....Jerry

Re: Re: Personal Web Site - USS Kitty Hawk Pictures

Great pics. I also have many pictures from my days aboard the Kitty Hawk. And, yes, the E Division berthing was below the aft chow hall. I served aboard from Nov. 1964 to Nov. 1966. I worked in the Aft Lighting shop and Flightdeck Lighting shops. Thanks for the memories.

Jim Olson EM2 E div.

Dan. I just viewed your pictures of the Hawk. I'm not sure how I would incorporate your pictures but I would ask your permission to add your pictures to our website as individual or selective shots or by link. Thanks,

Charlie
Webmaster