USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thankyou

Patriotism is defined as love of your country... Whether it's for a cause or against it as long as you think it's in the best interest of your home.

Definition of Patriotic:

- Feeling, expressing, or inspired by love for one's country. American Heritage® Dictionary

- Zealously and unselfishly devoted to the service of one's country; as, a patriotic statesman, vigilance. Webster

- Patriotism is a feeling of love and devotion to one's own homeland (patria, the land of one's fathers). Wikipedia

I don't agree with what they are doing... But they are showing the same level of "patriotism" in making their statement that Kerry did when he made his statements regarding Vietnam to the Senate. They honestly feel they are doing the right thing in trying to open people's eyes that the right thing to do is to bring the troops home, and they don't feel like the current administration was right in the decision to go to war.

Like it or not, they're covered under the first ammendment right of Freedom of Speech that many soldiers, like the ones represented by their effigy, died trying to protect.

Personally I think it's disrespectful and a disgrace to the uniform, but they're entitled to their opinion. That's just my 2 cents.

Re: Thankyou

When I encounter protesters, I choose to quote Voltaire, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it!"

Re: Re: Thankyou

Hey Jim, you have to "excuse" these protesters. Most of them don't know anything about the military. However, as gung-ho as I like to think I am, I can almost understand them not liking the Iraq situation. Jim,. do you remember anyone from X-Division, most notably ESO or personnel? It's been over 30 years. I swear it hasn't seemed that long. E-mail me back.