USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Collision with USS Platte AO24

I was in VA85 and was aboard the Kitty Hawk during the collision with the USS Platte (AO24). It was June 1967 and we were a week or so out of San Diego, returning from a deployment to Vietnam. I would like to hear from others who remember this collision. Does anyone know how it happened?

Re: Collision with USS Platte AO24

I was on board when that happened & as I recall, we were being refueled at the same time a DD was on the other side being refueld. The DD for some reason went into the supply ship & it hit us. There was no damaged to Kitty Hawk but the supply ship had to return to the US for repairs. Jimmy

Re: Re: Collision with USS Platte AO24

Yes, I believe that was in "67". I was aboard the Kitty Hawk

I was aboard when the accident happened, on my way back to CIC. I was going up the escalator when the collision alarm sounded over the 1MC. There was no noticeable "bump" or other indication of a collision other than the alarm. I went to the hanger deck and looked out. The masts on the Platte were shoved over at 20 degree angles. I heard that the destroyer that was unrepping at the same time as the Kitty Hawk, with one ship on either side of the Platte, veered to the left towards the Platte. To avoid the destroyer, the Platte turned into the Kitty Hawk.

Re: Re: Collision with USS Platte AO24

Actually, I went to the "hangar" deck, not the "hanger" deck.

I was in the after galley and felt the collsion, it didid not seem like much, when I got to the hager deck I was surprised to she that we had hit the oiler.

sent 11 pictures of the event (all three ships involved) to all the people that have responded to this message. I was on the catwalk watching and snapping pictures at the time. When the AO started to come at us the instinct was to duck, missed the actual collision. Anyone else interested in the pics, let me know.

I remember the incedent well. I was the petty officer in charge of taking on fuel that day and we had just
finished and I was eating chow when the collision took
place.I was v4 div 1966-1970 send me a note ray

I was in charge of the black oil being taken on. What happened was the sea was so rough the after about 4 or 5 attempts to throw the giude line over to us they had to shoot it over. The tin can moved up to the AO and the sea shoved it into the oiler. The olier hit us and we had to break away. I don't remember if the AV fuel (JP-5) was done, but we weren't. If you all remember, we had to have another AO come back the next day and finish. Jerry Myers BT2 B Div Oilshack (65-68)