Return to Website

Vegetarianteen.com Teen Board

Welcome to the "teens only" forum (OK, you might catch a parent lurking from time to time). Please keep it clean! Abusive or profane posts will be deleted. Please report uncool posts to editor@vegetarianteen.com. NO SOLICITING!

Vegetarianteen.com Teen Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gelatin-still vegetarian?

Are you still considered a vegetarian if you eat gelatin?

Re: gelatin-still vegetarian?

if it were up to me that id say no, not if you know that it's in the food that you are eating, but u still eat it anyway, but its in soo many foods/candies now that its hard to keep track of it all, especially when there are no labels

Re: Re: gelatin-still vegetarian?

The animal does have to die in order for gelatin to be collected, mind you. So, gelatin is by definition NOT a vegetarian-friendly food; even most people who eat fish and call themselves "vegetarians" avoid gelatin.

The best thing to do is to check the labels of candies or ask the person who made the dessert or suspect food if they used gelatin. When in doubt or no labels, just don't eat it. There is a vegan-friendly method of making "gelatin" derived from seaweed, try the asian market or Whole Foods near you to find some. It's good!

Re: Re: Re: gelatin-still vegetarian?

Yeah geletin isn't vegetarian. There are some vegan marshmallows you can buy online-I'm not sure where, though. But the animal having to die doesn't exactly make it non-vegetarian. Vegetarians still wear leather and suede, and animals have to die for that.

Re: Re: Re: Re: gelatin-still vegetarian?

i didn't know gelatin was in marshmellows! i've been eating them and i thought i was a vegetarian! am i still?????????i didn't know!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gelatin-still vegetarian?

wow your realy stupid i'm 12 and i know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!